DNS test fails trying to install plugin - resolv.conf error

Ben Smith

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a problem instlalling plugins in FreeNAS 11.2. When I try and use the GUI to install a plugin I get the error message

"[EFAULT] Exception: CallError:[EFAULT] pkg.cdn.trueos.org could not be reached via DNS, check your network occured, destroyed plex. "

The problem is caused by iocage copying the host resolv.conf. This points to localhost as the freenas server is an AD domain controller. Obviously when this gets put into a jail, the jail cannot resolve anything.

I seem to recall I had this before with jails, but I just logged into the jail and updated it (not installed any jails in a while). Doing the same here works - although you have limited time to fix before the installer times out.

This (very old) thread - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/weird-etc-resolv-conf-issue.46567/ - suggests setting the resolver to 127.0.0.1 is normal if the AD domain controller service is turned on.

Is this a bug I should file? Or an issue with my configuration?

D

dlavigne

Yeah, prob worth reporting at bugs.freenas.org due to the DC. Post the issue number here.

Ben Smith

Dabbler
Raised Bug #71083

I found you can override the resolv.conf in advanced settings when creating a jail which sorts the problem for jails, but not for plugin installations.