AMD FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian881

Cadet
Im a Noob to this as you will be able to tell. I would like to build a nas for my small office which will be used for accessing Large raw Image files and 4k video files it will be accessed from 4 mac computers on a gigabit network.
I have a AMD processor and Motherboard that i have never used I was hoping to use them for this NAS but I'm not sure they will work.
CPU: AMD FX-8320
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3
ram: Not purchased yet

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Im a Noob to this as you will be able to tell. I would like to build a nas for my small office which will be used for accessing Large raw Image files and 4k video files it will be accessed from 4 mac computers on a gigabit network.
I have a AMD processor and Motherboard that i have never used I was hoping to use them for this NAS but I'm not sure they will work.
CPU: AMD FX-8320
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3
ram: Not purchased yet
That motherboard probably won't work it very poorly at the most. Realtek NICs are terrible on bad and having audio along with random other things can cause driver and boot issues.

You should read the hardware guide and decide if you can get more appropriate hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CraigD

Patron
I'm not going to get into an AMD vs Intel debate because you have the motherboard and CPU

You need to take a look at the cost of ownership, components and power consumption, AMD TDP is higher but I'm unsure of idle power usage over the lifetime of the server

You will need to buy some older RAM (uses a lot more power) an HBA unless you use 10TB drives, maybe even have a network card on hand

A to spec build may or may not be cheaper, but if the cost is remotely close, I would go with a newer to spec build, a bonus of this is others will be able to help you, because you are on a well traveled path, not building your own

Either way
Have Fun

Brian881

Cadet
I need a very reliable NAS to store all of my Photography and video work. Do you think its even worth building with the CPU I have or should I try to sell the the Motherboard and CPU?
if so
what is 2017's best parts for reliability and speed for my project ?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I need a very reliable NAS to store all of my Photography and video work. Do you think its even worth building with the CPU I have or should I try to sell the the Motherboard and CPU?
if so
what is 2017's best parts for reliability and speed for my project ?
That hardware is absolutely not going to be reliable. Read the hardware guide for what to use.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.