First build - AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsguy

Please give @Napalm a break. Given his stated use case, I think he'll be fine.

I wouldn't say that he has a "junker" system. We see a lot of users trying to use systems with a fraction of the required RAM or a 10+ year old CPU.

Maybe he lacks the WAF and this buys him time to learn FreeNAS, before investing in a server solution. ;-)

Supersayian

Cadet
I have been using AMD hardware for a few years. I use freenas as a ISCSI San for my windows server also running on AMD hardware. I have not had any data corruption in any way. What I am using in my freenas box is listed below

MB = Asus F1A55-M LE
CPU = AMD FM1 processor (Don't have the specific numbers available)
Memory = G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB
Raid Controller = Areca arc-1280ml
case = Norco RPC-4224 Case

Inxsible

Guru
I have been using AMD hardware for a few years. I use freenas as a ISCSI San for my windows server also running on AMD hardware. I have not had any data corruption in any way. What I am using in my freenas box is listed below

MB = Asus F1A55-M LE
CPU = AMD FM1 processor (Don't have the specific numbers available)
Memory = G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB
Raid Controller = Areca arc-1280ml
case = Norco RPC-4224 Case
It's great to see someone using non-ECC hardware and using it "few years" without trouble. Maybe this will allow us to dispel the "ECC is required" myth.

However, I am not familiar with the RAID controller that you are using. I thought hardware RAID didn't work well with FreeNAS/ZFS. Are you using that in JBOD mode? If so, then that might be a controller that we can add to the known list of IBM M1015 and Dell H310 etc.

Supersayian

Cadet
It's great to see someone using non-ECC hardware and using it "few years" without trouble. Maybe this will allow us to dispel the "ECC is required" myth.

However, I am not familiar with the RAID controller that you are using. I thought hardware RAID didn't work well with FreeNAS/ZFS. Are you using that in JBOD mode? If so, then that might be a controller that we can add to the known list of IBM M1015 and Dell H310 etc.

Yeah it is in JBOD mode. Should have put that in there when I listed it.

Napalm

Dabbler
Thank you all - and it's not so much WAF as it is I'm a stingy bastid. But mostly I want to try to learn it before I go crazy. I mean it might not work.

But I find it odd I can buy a off the shelf NAS box that works off a ARM processor base and alot less ram. It doesn't use ZFS - biggest hurdle - but many use a linux like (FreeBSD like) OS. It's just very optimized, sure but they get away with so much less - and it shows when you try to do a few things with them. If I ever get the time to kick this off I'll certainly post the results. Success or failure - I might however gloss over the failures. Cause you know, human.

Supersayian

Cadet
Thank you all - and it's not so much WAF as it is I'm a stingy bastid. But mostly I want to try to learn it before I go crazy. I mean it might not work.

But I find it odd I can buy a off the shelf NAS box that works off a ARM processor base and a lot less ram. It doesn't use ZFS - biggest hurdle - but many use a linux like (FreeBSD like) OS. It's just very optimized, sure but they get away with so much less - and it shows when you try to do a few things with them. If I ever get the time to kick this off I'll certainly post the results. Success or failure - I might however gloss over the failures. Cause you know, human.

I wish you luck with it. I have a feeling you should not have a problem with the hardware that you have listed. The graphics card is over kill for the rig. The hardware that you are running is more powerful than what I am running in mine. That is why I chose graphics built into the processor. Frees up a slot on the motherboard for a card. I recommend maybe getting a couple extra drives for the raidz. The card will do to get it installed. Are you going to remove it after it is setup or are you going to leave it in?

Kerat

Cadet
Do keep us posted. I am building an ESXi host off of AMD RYZEN and setting up a freenas vm with passthrough control of an LSI 9207-8i HBA.

Most of the drive for me to go AMD is because I alternate Intel/AMD when I build at home, and it was AMD’s turn. Also, 8 cores and 16 threads at 65W TDP should allow me more than enough vCPUs to virtualize all my home services. I should be able to host Freenas, an DVR server, media management server, my firewall, a home automation server, network controller, network monitor, domain controller, and a remote access server and possibly event a NVR for my security cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Napalm

Dabbler
I wish you luck with it. I have a feeling you should not have a problem with the hardware that you have listed. The graphics card is over kill for the rig. The hardware that you are running is more powerful than what I am running in mine. That is why I chose graphics built into the processor. Frees up a slot on the motherboard for a card. I recommend maybe getting a couple extra drives for the raidz. The card will do to get it installed. Are you going to remove it after it is setup or are you going to leave it in?

I'm removing the video card. Get the boot up, raid setup, etc - Power down, pull card - Boot up and setup the rest via web interface on my laptop. If I have to I can get ahold of a lighter duty video card.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm removing the video card. Get the boot up, raid setup, etc - Power down, pull card - Boot up and setup the rest via web interface on my laptop. If I have to I can get a hold of a lighter duty video card.
Test it sooner than later, some systems will not boot at all without a video card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.