First Build: Plex Streaming/Home File Server

shepherdkp

Cadet
Hi! This is my first FreeNas/server type build. My goal is a FreeNas build that is good for streaming media around my home, storing photos/other files, and to learn as much about FreeNas as possible. I know very little right now. In full disclosure, I have already ordered most of the parts so I hope I am not too far off the mark. Please let me know where I have gone wrong! Here is what I am thinking:

1. Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SCH-LN4F-O
2. CPU: Intel CORE I3-8300 3.70GHZ 8M LGA1151
3. CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 140mm SSO2 C-type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler
4. RAM: 2 X Supermicro 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 2666 (PC4-2666) Server Memory (MEM-DR416L-CV02-EU26)
5. Boot Drive: SanDisk 32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive
6. Storage: 5 X WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM
7. Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W
8. Case: Fractal Design Node 804

My biggest questions are:
1. Will it FreeNAS?
2. Is the I3-8300 enough? Xeon 21x6 chips seem pretty hard to find from the major resellers (amazon, newegg, B&H) but I am thinking I can swap one in at a later date if necessary.
3. Is 650 watts enough for the power supply? If it is right now, what if I add a couple more drives later on?

In any case, I'm having a blast learning the basics, any suggestions/criticisms will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yorick

Wizard
Power supply is more than enough.

Boot drive - consider a small ssd instead, it will last you far longer than the usb stick. If you must go usb, do usb 2.0 from Sandisk, they last longer than the 3.1. Or so it seems.
Boot Ssd could be this: https://m.newegg.com/corsair-force-mp300-120gb/p/N82E16820236394
NVMe not for the speed, but just so it will work with this board or the x11ssh, should you go that route.
A sata ssd in 2.5 form factor connected to a free sata port would also work.

Board and CPU. 8k6 passmark, which means you can easily transcode four 1080p streams, if streaming to phones and such is desired. Transcoding a 4K stream is likely out of reach until FreeNAS supports hw transcode - could come within the year. It’s in the roadmap and just keeps getting pushed down the road. You can always handbrake to 1080p instead.

There is no real advantage to going coffee lake here by the way, with the exception of being able to use that i3 instead of a xeon. Sure that board has two m.2, but for Plex and a little 1gb home file serve, you won’t need an L2ARC, so no advantage there.

An x11ssh-f with a Xeon e3-1225v6 does just as well, or x11ssm-f, depending on how keen you are on booting from m.2 for aesthetic reasons. The 1225 because of that promise of future hw transcode, again.

You won’t get any value out of the four Ethernet ports. If you decide to stick with your choice of board and you can find an x11sch-f, that’ll work just as well for you.