All disks from previous pool stopped spinning after reinstall on different mobo

NugentS

MVP
My suspicion is either PSU or power delivery. SATA ports are unlikley in themselves to fry drives I would have thought

mitzaotomitza

Dabbler
Finally I've got to the Botton of this which was pure negligence. When I moved the drives from the old working TrueNas system, I plugged a Corsair Ax1200i PSU - SATA power cable in the Asus Thor 1200 PSU - SATA port. Since they are incompatible the drives got silently burnt. The problem is that in the Asus Thor1200 PSU, the entire SATA line went down ( irreversible burnt). This PSU works OK without any SATA connected. When I connect the SATA cord, it shuts down.
I feel really bad for wasting ya'll time. Lesson learned, never mix PSU cables.
Thank you :

sretalla HoneyBadger oxyde NugentS joeschmuck

for your help!

NugentS

MVP
Its the one issue with modular PSU's. Everything else about Modular is good. Changes later on in life is not good

mitzaotomitza

Dabbler
The fried PSU is the Asus Thor 1200W. Everything works except the SATA module that is definitely fried. I found this by connecting a smaller 450W Thermaltake that is powering on the system and powers the Sata devices as well.

oxyde

Contributor
feel bad for you... could have happen to everyone!
I just don't understand if disks are fine or no :tongue:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry to hear about that, very expensive lesson to learn. For that exact reason, I place my extra cables in the original power supply box so I can easily know which power supply they go with.

mitzaotomitza

Dabbler
feel bad for you... could have happen to everyone!
I just don't understand if disks are fine or no :tongue:
All disks, including. Wd Red Plus 10 TB, are fried. Miraculously the two SSD s escaped.
Now everything is back and running on a weaker 450W Thermaltake PSU.

mitzaotomitza

Dabbler
Sorry to hear about that, very expensive lesson to learn. For that exact reason, I place my extra cables in the original power supply box so I can easily know which power supply they go with.
My office became a crowded dormitory for tons of cables, mobos, cables, gpus and God knows what kind of other gadgets. Time to purge and clean.

But... but... but how? :oops:

Wouldn't incompatible PSU cables and ports use differently-shaped slots to prevent such a dangerous mismatch?

EDIT: Is this just a "thing" with modular PSUs? It's just expected of the customers to know "I shouldn't do that" without any physical barrier to prevent them?

EDIT 2: The first result on a cursory internet web search:

With a headline like that... yikes.

EDIT 3: So now I'm even more confused why modular PSUs and cables would be designed like this. Imagine if appliances all had the same plug, meanwhile outlets of any voltage all have the same-shape slots, as well. Then the manufacturers just expect you to be careful what you plug into your wall.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
EDIT 3: So now I'm even more confused why modular PSUs and cables would be designed like this. Imagine if appliances all had the same plug, meanwhile outlets of any voltage all have the same-shape slots, as well. Then the manufacturers just expect you to be careful what you plug into your wall.
What manufacturer wants to push a standard on everyone? That costs money. I've even heard of the same manufacturer having incompatible cables within the brand, now isn't that crazy.