After Upgrading from FreeNAS 11.3 5U to TrueNAS Core: ZFS: can't find pool by guid

kartracer

Dabbler
I am running FreeNAS 11.3 5U on a USB stick. Upgraded to TrueNAS Core from FreeNAS. During the reboot of the TrueNAS install, I get "ZFS: can't find pool by guid". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1643943474498.png

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Sorry, no answer to your question but a friendly warning. Get rid of the USB stick as soon as possible. Many generations ago it was ok to run FreeNAS off of such a device. But the access patterns have changed and there is considerable risk that the thing dies any moment.

kartracer

Dabbler
Thank you for your suggestion. To move from USB to SSD, is it as easy as installing TrueNAS on the SSD then loading the saved config file from FreeNAS? Or is there more to it than that? I can not loose access to my data. Thank you for your help.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
It should be that easy. Reload on SSD, then upload your config file.

kartracer

Dabbler
I just wanted to post back saying it is that easy to install and configure TrueNAS from FreeNAS migrating from USB to SSD.

I save the config while using the USB. Installed TrueNAS on a SSD then reload config and everything back to normal except it is now running TrueNAS using a SSD. Both config and reload of config are done through the web GUI. Thanks.

Netfreak

Dabbler
I just wanted to post back saying it is that easy to install and configure TrueNAS from FreeNAS migrating from USB to SSD.

I save the config while using the USB. Installed TrueNAS on a SSD then reload config and everything back to normal except it is now running TrueNAS using a SSD. Both config and reload of config are done through the web GUI. Thanks.
My startup disk was a laptop HDD and I couldn't update from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12 CORE so I did almost the same thing like you. Instead of the Laptop startup disk, I installed TrueNAS core on a SDD and uploaded the config file (exactly like you did). Works indeed like a piece a cake.
The password from my FreeNAS startup laptop disk goes over automatically to TrueNAS CORE which is, of course, changeable (if need be) after the process.
Glad I bounced into this post/thread.
Thanks