After reboot all drives will not decrypt

mydani

Cadet
Hello guys,

I have little hope left, so let me tell you what I did and maybe you can tell me whether I screwed up.

Was running a FreeNAS-11.3-RELEASE w/o issues for long. Now my 1st dataset was running full, so I:
  • added 3 new drives
  • disconnected 1 of the 4 of the original pool due to number of connector on the board.
  • Started freenas and created a 2nd pool with the 3 new drives
  • Did do the snapshot, zfs send | zfs receive to the new pool...
  • unfortunately it was interrupted (closed the terminal *arg*).so I had to delete the new pool. That's what I did in the UI, and I did only delete the _new_ pool.
  • Restarted my Freenas system, and wanted to unlock the original pool, then this error comes since.

Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 239, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 95, in main_worker
res = loop.run_until_complete(coro)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/base_events.py", line 579, in run_until_complete
return future.result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 51, in _run
return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params=args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 43, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 43, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 964, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 382, in import_pool
zfs.import_pool(found, found.name, options, any_host=any_host)
File "libzfs.pyx", line 369, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 382, in import_pool
zfs.import_pool(found, found.name, options, any_host=any_host)
File "libzfs.pyx", line 870, in libzfs.ZFS.import_pool
libzfs.ZFSException: no such pool or dataset
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1656, in unlock
'cachefile': ZPOOL_CACHE_FILE,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1127, in call
app=app, pipes=pipes, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb, io_thread=True,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1074, in _call
return await self._call_worker(name, *args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1094, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1029, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1003, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
libzfs.ZFSException: ('no such pool or dataset',)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 349, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 386, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 960, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1668, in unlock
raise CallError(msg)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Pool could not be imported: 3 devices failed to decrypt.

It says "[EFAULT] Pool could not be imported: 3 devices failed to decrypt. " I reconnected the disconnected 4th drive for the original pool, and this one seems fine.
What could have gone wrong and what can I try to fix it?

Best Regards,
Daniel

PS:

root@datengrab:~ # zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:05:59 with 0 errors on Mon Feb 22 03:50:59 2021
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
da1p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

mydani

Cadet
Some more info for you guys:

root@datengrab:~ # camcontrol devlist
<TOSHIBA HDWD130 MX6OACF0> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<TOSHIBA HDWD130 MX6OACF0> at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)
<Hitachi HDS5C3030BLE630 MZ6OAAB0> at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,ada2)
<TOSHIBA HDWD130 MX6OACF0> at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (pass3,ada3)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001> at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,ses0)
<TOSHIBA USB FLASH DRIVE > at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (pass5,da0)
<TOSHIBA USB FLASH DRIVE > at scbus9 target 0 lun 0 (pass6,da1)

root@datengrab:~ # zpool import
root@datengrab:~ #

mydani

Cadet
What I found: disks ada0,ada1,ada2,ada3 - ada1 being the one I reconnected.
gpart list will show "No such geom" for ada0,ada2,ada3.
Looks like partition information is lost. Any clue whether it would make sense trying to restore them?

mydani

Cadet
My system:

• Motherboard make and model: Intel genuine server board
  • CPU make and model: Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
  • RAM quantity : 32GB
  • Hard drives: 4 x 3TB, Toshiba MX6OACF0
  • Hard disk controllers: Intel Cougar Point AHCI SATA controller
  • Network cards: 2 x Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.6.1-k, 1 connected

mydani

Cadet
Any clue highly appreciated, also missing information I will provide on the fly... :)

mydani

Cadet
What is also confusing is, that the UI knows about the pool, but on the CLI, zpool doesn't list it.
Even if I manage to redo the partition table, which is clear how to do it, how do I get the UI and CLI in sync again?

mydani

Cadet
Maybe one more update, I cloned one drive, backed up the partition table of the untouched drive, restored the partition table on the clone via gpart restore. Then I dumped the geli information from the untouched drive and restored it on the clone.
What I can do now is attach the clone using geli attach ... Not sure what this tells me, but seems a step forward.

mydani

Cadet
Did what was the most reasonable thing - migrated to Synology NAS, now everything is fine. bb