Issue unlocking pool

pylotwolf

Cadet
System: 6 1.5tb disks (5+1), GELI encrypted under 11.x, running 12.0-U8 currently
Issue:
Pool went offline while I was on vacation. A disk reported a failed smart check (though it, and all drives, just passed a long smart check and none show errors in the SMART history on disk). I disconnected the pool (saving the encryption key), tried to reimport it, and when I did, the drive which reported failed smart check won't decrypt, and the pool fails to import. When I try to import the pool with the five other drives using the recovery key, it finds the pool, and then also fails to decrypt:

Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 243, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker
res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 371, in import_pool
self.logger.error(
File "libzfs.pyx", line 391, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 365, in import_pool
zfs.import_pool(found, new_name or found.name, options, any_host=any_host)
File "libzfs.pyx", line 1095, in libzfs.ZFS.import_pool
File "libzfs.pyx", line 1123, in libzfs.ZFS.__import_pool
libzfs.ZFSException: I/O error
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 367, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 403, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1421, in import_pool
await self.middleware.call('zfs.pool.import_pool', pool['guid'], {
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1256, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1221, in _call
return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1227, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1154, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1128, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
libzfs.ZFSException: ('I/O error',)

I tried to decrypt each drive using the exported key on the command line, and it doesn't work - it asks me for my passphrase, which I do have, but it doesn't work. I also have the recovery key, and that too asks for a passphrase on the command line.

root@freenas:/tmp # geli attach -k pool_store_recovery.key /dev/ada1p2
Enter passphrase:

root@freenas:/tmp # geli attach -k pool_store_encryption.key /dev/ada1p2
Enter passphrase:
geli: Wrong key for ada1p2.
geli: There was an error with at least one provider.

The recovery key worked fine in the UI without a passphrase. How can I use it on the command line to test the individual disks? Help!

pylotwolf

Cadet
Found out the error was not surfacing in the UI, ran the following on the command line:

root@freenas:/data/geli # zpool import store
cannot import 'store': I/O error
Recovery is possible, but will result in some data loss.
Returning the pool to its state as of Mon Feb 28 00:00:05 2022
should correct the problem. Approximately 5 seconds of data
must be discarded, irreversibly. After rewind, at least
one persistent user-data error will remain. Recovery can be attempted
by executing 'zpool import -F store'. A scrub of the pool
is strongly recommended after recovery.
root@freenas:/data/geli # zpool import -F store

And the pool correctly imported.