Truenas Core Pool Offline

jamesr98

Cadet
Hi guys,

I recently built the same Truenas Core as Linus Tech Tips did during this video:
I put in 5xSeagate IronWolf 10TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B085ZB51HW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I configured my pool using raidz1 for 1 drive worth of redundancy.
It was working great up until last night.
My pool went offline. I did a manual SMART test on each of the drives and they all returned successful results.

So I tried to export and re-import my pool. The export worked, but now when I try and import the pool, I get an IO error
Code:
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:

"""

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 243, in _process_worker

r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker

res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run

return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call

return methodobj(*params)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call

return methodobj(*params)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf

return f(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 371, in import_pool

self.logger.error(

File "libzfs.pyx", line 391, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 365, in import_pool

zfs.import_pool(found, new_name or found.name, options, any_host=any_host)

File "libzfs.pyx", line 1095, in libzfs.ZFS.import_pool

File "libzfs.pyx", line 1123, in libzfs.ZFS.__import_pool

libzfs.ZFSException: I/O error

"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 367, in run

await self.future

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 403, in __run_body

rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf

return await f(*args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1421, in import_pool

await self.middleware.call('zfs.pool.import_pool', pool['guid'], {

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1256, in call

return await self._call(

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1221, in _call

return await self._call_worker(name, *prepared_call.args)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1227, in _call_worker

return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1154, in run_in_proc

return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1128, in run_in_executor

return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))

libzfs.ZFSException: ('I/O error',)

My complete system specs are:

MotherBoard: Asus B550-I M
CPU: Ryzen 3100 (using stock cooler)
Memory: G-Skill 16Gb 3600MHz
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600
Hard Drives: 5x Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD
SSD: Kingstone 250GB
Case: JonsboN1
Additional: M.2 to 2x SATA adaptor - Model listed here is a 5 port SATA, but I have the 2 port version https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07T3RMFFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I am using this NAS for Plex, File Storage, and a DDNS Server.
Can anyone please help me. I have done the cardinal sin of not having offsite backups as it wasn't in my budget yet.

Thanks,
James.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I recently built the same Truenas Core as Linus Tech Tips did during this video:

... why?

You realize that many (most?) of the things done over there turn out to be bad ideas or misadventures, possibly on purpose, to drive traffic to their channel, right? Why would you build a system some YouTubers designed to LOOK awesome but not designed to BE awesome?

Ugh.

Well anyways it's quite likely that your problem may be related to

Additional: M.2 to 2x SATA adaptor - Model listed here is a 5 port SATA, but I have the 2 port version

this trash, which aren't specifically called out in the following article

but I suppose maybe I should revise it to mention specific controllers.

jamesr98

Cadet
@jgreco
Ok, good to know.

Is there any product that you'd recommend to get more sata ports on my motherboard? Even like a PCIE expansion card?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@jgreco
Ok, good to know.

Is there any product that you'd recommend to get more sata ports on my motherboard? Even like a PCIE expansion card?

As it says in the article I linked to,

Almost all of these "solutions" have been more expensive to buy new than it costs for a used LSI HBA on eBay, where the PERC H200's and PERC H310's are often available for $30, and provide eight fully supported lanes and can use SAS expanders for additional drives beyond that.