Advice on cleaning up a poor installation

JayRowe

Cadet
I am new to TrueNAS and made a silly mistake on my first installation.
I would like some advice on the correct way to FIX my system if its possible.
If all else fails, I can rebuild the box from scratch, its not a big deal, but I'd rather learn a bit and see if I can get around a fresh rebuild.

Dell PowerEdge T330
Problem: The ZFS Pool is on 4x1TB drives in RAID 5 on the Dell RAID controller.
Two jails in use, Nextcloud and a Ubiquiti Unifi Controller.

I have 4x2TB drives ready to use and was wondering if the following is the best way to FIX my install without losing any data.
Set the new drives up as single drives in the RAID controller.
Create a new ZFS Pool with TrueNAS
Move the Jails over to the new Pool
Remove the old Pool and its RAID configuration.
Purchase 4 new 2TB drives and add them to the system as individual drives on the RAID Conntroller
Expand the ZFS pool created earlier using TrueNAS/ZFS

Thanks in advance.

JayRowe

Cadet
Wow been reading a bit more....seems that using the RAID card may not be a wise idea even in HBA mode.
Sorry to waste time with my previous question...Going to do more research on this card and server before I do to much more with it.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
It sounds like you've already reached the right conclusion.

What you can do is use the built-in SATA controller on the motherboard of the T330 to attach your 4x2TB drives, build a new pool from them with zero "RAID" involved, and then migrate your data. Once that's done, destroy your old pool, shut down the server, and replace the RAID card with an HBA - although, depending on what model of RAID card you have, it might be possible to convert it to an HBA instead of having to buy new hardware.

JayRowe

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response.
I may just attach an external HDD, backup the nextcloud jail and start fresh.
The card is an H330 and I have the files and a write up on how to flash it...seems like a fun project to attempt.