Adding a second RAID controller to an existing system

Hi All, I hope this is a straightforward matter to solve :)
I run Freenas 9.10 (uprading makes me nervous but i know i need to do it) on a Dell Poweredge T20 intel box with 4 x 4TB internal SATA drives with the Freenas O/S runing on a USB stick.
It has worked happily for year and i just have a NFS share that holds everything and oly the Plex plugin (i need to upgrade Freenas to upgrade the plugin so i will do it soon.
As i have a disk issue at the moment i am about to replace a disk so while shut down I thought i would pop my new SAS RAID controller in as i plan to add an external shelf to increase the capacity of the system so it would be installed ready. It is a PCI-e LSI 500605b with 2 external SAS ports.
When i powered back up i was greeted with the message that all of the disks in my previous configuration has gone and i should check my cables - even though i could see them on the screen as it checked the internal RAID card before getting to the LSI card.
I shutdown, removed the new card and it booted fine so i assume the SCSI ID's or something change when the new card is in the system.
Is there a quick and easy way to work around this so that it boots normally with the new card in?
I am guess ing it will have a similar issue when i eventually connect the new disk shelf to the new SAS card too?
Thanks for any advice
Mark

sretalla