BUILD Need non-RAID controller recommendation for Dell PE R900

Status
Not open for further replies.

estrabd

Dabbler
I am repurposing a Dell Poweredge R900. It came with a hardware RAID card that won't allow me to not use RAID (0, 1, ...).

I had purchased a Dell 6/IR SAS RAID Controller Card JW063 because it is non-RAID (and LSI 1068e, so FreeBSD should have no issues with it I thought).

But, I am seeing random reboots with that non-RAID card. I am not entirely sure it's the card, but I am currently using the original to compare uptimes.

Now with the original RAID card in there, I have configured each of the 5 drives to be RAID0. This is non-ideal, and I know this.

What I need help with is determining the best non-RAID card to use in the R900.

Thank you,

Fraoch

Patron
IBM M1015?

Fraoch

Patron
Ah...if it won't take a low-profile PCIe card then it won't work.

It's the standard recommendation for FreeNAS though.

estrabd

Dabbler
Thank you, well that's where I am struggling here. I'm stuck with the R900, so I need something that fits internally.

Appreciate the reply.

Fraoch

Patron
Wait, yes, it should work fine.

I googled the specs and:

Slots

7 PCI-Express slots (four x8, three x4)

5 slots are full-height, full length, 2 slots are full-height, half length

You should have lots of space.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You guys sure the M1015 is not a low-profile card? I think it is (but can't verify, since I don't own one).

The M1015 id classify as low profile as it will fit a low profile bracket, granted I own 3 M1015s I bought brackets from a guy on eBay who had both full height and low profile for the M1015s

What is the type of connection on the backplane for the drives?

Fraoch

Patron

estrabd

Dabbler
The issue is that I have my drives in the internal bay (5 disks) and I see no way to have the internal drives use an external card. Thanks!

The card you linked above, has a cable that goes from the backplane of the drive caddy to the current card, what you would need is the above card ( M1015 ) and then a cable that has SAS one one end and the other end would be whatever the backplane is.

I beleive this is what the backplane on the poweredge R900 looks like, http://cdn3.volusion.com/quxvf.egsuc/v/vspfiles/photos/TT235--4.jpg confirm it is infact that and there was a thread to the cables youd need somewhere that i will find

Original thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/poweredge-backplane-with-serveraid-m1015.22083/

But refernces this thread that has your answer > https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cant-install-freenas-on-dell-poweredge-2950.16999/

I.E: You'd need x2 of these cables to make the M1015 work http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025408&p_id=8191&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
The M1015 is an internal card. It's in the case. You plug it in like a graphics card. Nothing externally. Just because it doesn't use Dells propertiary slot but the industry standard PCIe slots doesn't make it externally.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The M1015 is an internal card. It's in the case. You plug it in like a graphics card. Nothing externally. Just because it doesn't use Dells propertiary slot but the industry standard PCIe slots doesn't make it externally.
Dell's card also looks like a regular 8x PCI-e card, but shorter.

estrabd

Dabbler
Okay, all parts ordered. If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right - at least given the chassis :)

estrabd

Dabbler
Parts were received and installed. I am now waiting on the burn-in to complete.

Just as one last sanity check, I set up each disk as JBOD. This is correct, right?

Thank you

Parts were received and installed. I am now waiting on the burn-in to complete.

Just as one last sanity check, I set up each disk as JBOD. This is correct, right?

Thank you
If you have a M1015 there is no raid, it will be JBOD without configuring anything. Plug in the M1015, the cables, have the drives in, boot FreeNAS and it should grab it all and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.