Dell R710 Server H700 raid card.

Nitro626

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've been considering for a while to buy a Dell R710 server, I've seen that there are a few raid card available for the server, the one i am looking at has the H700 raid card.
H700 can do IT mode as far as I know, but requires flash?

Will FreeNAS run with this card in standard config, because i am thinking the disks on mirror side will be hidden from freeNAS because of the H700 raid controller card?

Last edited:
Here is a post discussing the exact card you're talking about.

I didn't look too deeply but it looks like perhaps this might not be an appropriate card for FreeNAS.

Will FreeNAS run with this card in standard config, because i am thinking the disks on mirror side will be hidden from freeNAS because of the H700 raid controller card?
I wouldn't recommend using any card which hides anything about the disks from FreeNAS.

Do you have ~$40-$60 to pick up another card?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
H700 can do IT mode as far as I know,

It cannot.

but requires flash?

Do not try to use an H700 with FreeNAS. An H200 is probably the better choice.

Nitro626

Dabbler
I've emailed the guy asking if he would change the H700 to a H200 card.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Nitro626

Dabbler

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Seller has agreed to swap the card. For me I am in Asia sp not always easy to get stuff from ebay from other countries.
Just be sure the card is flashed to IT mode so it can work properly with FreeNAS. Also, you may need to take a look at this informative video:

How to fix: "Invalid PCIe card found in the Internal Storage slot!" error in Dell PowerEdge R710
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0AEHVdc_go