Dell Perc H740P Mini

Zword

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

It’s my first post on this forum :).

I need some enlightenment about my current Hardware situation regarding my current Dell Perc H740P Mini raid/eHBA controller. I’ve set this card on eHBA mode and i can see all my non-raid disks RAID0 with debian so the card seems to be working.

I’ve found this post : http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.co...ll-PERC-H740p-adapter-td6229264.html#a6229872

Which seems to be able to have this controller working with FreeBSD.

I have two SSD disks that i would like to use as the OS disks on top of zfs for my FreeNAS setup, i’m familliar with zfs and i know that using raid card for ZFS is an high crimes however i don’t have currently much choice.

The fact is that i was able to see with my own eyes that the current latest FreeNAS iso have the "hw.mfi.mrsas_enable="1"" as it’s well explain on the documentation so it should be able to see my Dell Perc H740P. I’m well aware that this Dell Perc H740P is in fact an MegaRaid/LSI/Broadcom Tri-Mode SAS3508 and that this reference is not on the hardware compatibility list of FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

How could i add the latest drivers from Broadcom on the FreeNAS ISO ?

I’ve tried to use an .img with the lastest driver on an ext2 partition in order to load this drivers on the Boot loader prompt without success.

On the other hand i can see all the other disks based on an Seagate 5U 84 with SAS wire without issue.

I know that i might need to switch this card from HP740P to HBA330 in order to have it on the right way as i didn’t see any added support for this card planned on the FreeBSD website.

Thanks for your feedback.

Zword

D

dlavigne

Best bet is to create a feature request at bugs.ixsystems.com. If you do, post the issue number here.

Zword

Cadet
Hi,

Since my last post i was able to get my PERC 740 P mini working on the nightly build fine with it.
However as we are not even close of the next stable release i’ve decide to switch from PERC 740P mini to HBA 330 in order to be able to use the last current stable release.

As the order have not been made i would like to know if you have any feedback about using this HBA 330 ?
I’ve seen many post on the forum about this HBA card saying that it should work out of the box.

What about performance ? I want to use SSD for L2ARC/SLOG on the front disk array of my server which will use also the HBA 330, any advice on what kind of disk i should order ?