DELL Perc VS raidZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstyler

Explorer
Hello

We have DELL 2950 with PERC 6 on board

We would like to manage Raid throught PERC by raid5, instead on RaidZ

This could be generate problems with FREENAS (v. 9.10) ?

Thanks

Dice

Wizard
Yes.

Check the cyberjocks newbie guide and hardware recommendations (stickie threads). They provide you with a lot of insight in system design (and answers your current question and numerous other 'need to know' aspects of taking the plunge into freenas. It is not that simple.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you want to use the PERC card as a RAID5, do not use FreeNAS as the software. There are other software options but for what you want, FreeNAS is not what you should use, unless you don't mind your data disappearing one day. FreeNAS is designed to run using the ZFS software RAID and this also makes it portable, meaning that you can take your hard drives to any other piece of computer hardware, plug in the drives, and boot FreeNAS and have access to your data. You don't need a specific RAID card to get your data back.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The answer to this is literally in the documentation and FreeNAS website....

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
937632cedf29cda67d128a571e1c73d2.jpg

maglin

Patron
You really should look at the different schemes for array management and see what is better for your environment.
Most of the time ZFS is preferred as your array has better redundancy options along with not being handcuffed to specific hardware. I think hardware raid is dead for the most part. But there are probably situations that requires it I don't know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
In any case, ditch the PERC 6. It can't drive space over 2.2 TB, so if you attached a 8 TB drive it would only show you 2.2 TB.

But as others have said HW Raid and FreeNas are a big "no no".

webstyler

Explorer
Thanks guys

PERC6 haven't mode "direct" so the only way I have found is to create 1 virtual group and virtual disk for any single HD..

:/

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
PERC6 haven't mode "direct" so the only way I have found is to create 1 virtual group and virtual disk for any single HD..
Yes, but this is highly UN-Recommended.... You are not wanting to do this and will be sorry if you proceed down that line...

Status
Not open for further replies.