Active directory not showing users or groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Sure, but the practicality of a GPS-disciplined temperature-controlled rubidium oscillator leaves a bit to be desired.
You're an engineer. I thought you don't care about things like practicality? I've actually considered turning a raspberry pi with GPS module into a network time source.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Okey dokey, is the stratum time server a download or do I need to buy some equipment??

Sorry I've not heard of that before, i usually just get devices to sync from the DC but the Freenas server is the only one that doesn't appear to want to sync correctly

Well, you could also just have your DCs synchronize time with the same servers that your FreeNAS server is using "System" -> "General" -> "NTP Servers"... or change your FreeNAS config so that it has the same time source as the DC. Overall, time is important in an AD environment. You shouldn't have clock skew.

James Richardson

Explorer
I did that, i got it to sync from my DC first only but it's 3 minutes out, then I added the 0.uk.pool.ntp.org and 1.uk.pool.ntp.org ntp servers as perferred instead.

I've also run the W32tm commands on the DC to sync to the same servers as the freenas 0.uk.pool.ntp.org and 1.uk.pool.ntp.org ntp.

Can I run a command on the freenas server to sync up (Shell)?

Thanks
James

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You're an engineer. I thought you don't care about things like practicality? I've actually considered turning a raspberry pi with GPS module into a network time source.
Well, that's a step down from an atomic clock, but it's something I've thought about, too.

mauirixxx

Explorer
I did that, i got it to sync from my DC first only but it's 3 minutes out, then I added the 0.uk.pool.ntp.org and 1.uk.pool.ntp.org ntp servers as perferred instead.

I've also run the W32tm commands on the DC to sync to the same servers as the freenas 0.uk.pool.ntp.org and 1.uk.pool.ntp.org ntp.

Can I run a command on the freenas server to sync up (Shell)?

Thanks
James

You can try:

Code:
service ntpd stop
ntpdate ntp.server.name
service ntpd start

in your FreeNAS console. Also, the 2nd post in my walkthrough, labeled Active Directory prep, everything in that post is Windows specific.

James Richardson

Explorer
You can try:

Code:
service ntpd stop
ntpdate ntp.server.name
service ntpd start

in your FreeNAS console. Also, the 2nd post in my walkthrough, labeled Active Directory prep, everything in that post is Windows specific.

Thank you, I've been after that command for ages!!.

it seems to have gone through ok, it says "System Time" is an hour behind but the "Uptime" is correct, i assume the System is the one i need right??

I'll take a look through the links thank you :smile:.

Thanks
James

Attachments

• Time.JPG
    Time.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 416

blaco

Explorer
it seems to have gone through ok, it says "System Time" is an hour behind
Now you should check your time zone. It has to be the same as on your DC.

Uptime is only the information how long your freenas box is already running.
If you restart your server, it will get back to 0.

James Richardson

Explorer
Bingo!!!!!!! I can see the domain group users and groups now. Time was the issue, i just couldn't get it to sync, tried all sorts!!!

I only see them when I change permissions on a share though from the drop down, so i have to manually type them in. I think I've read that somewhere this was the case though.

Thanks very much :smile:.

James

mauirixxx

Explorer
Bingo!!!!!!! I can see the domain group users and groups now. Time was the issue, i just couldn't get it to sync, tried all sorts!!!

I only see them when I change permissions on a share though from the drop down, so i have to manually type them in. I think I've read that somewhere this was the case though.

Thanks very much :).

James

Glad to hear you got it sorted out! I guess the next saying after "It's always DNS" should be "If it ain't DNS, check your time servers/settings/zone" :D

James Richardson

Explorer
Thank you again, like i was saying before i knew the DNS was OK, I could ping no problem, the time seemed to be the only thing that made sense but i just couldn't get the right command.

I'm so pleased :smile: :smile:.

Kind regards,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.