SOLVED Active Directory users and groups do not show up in Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomS

Dabbler
Hi there,

I'm a new user of FreeNAS, so what I'm asking might be easy to be answered, but I did not find the answer in the Internet yet.

I am running FreeNAS 9.3-STABLE on a small server.
In order to have the same user accounts available everywhere on my home network, I created an Active Directory using the FreeNAS box with the FreeNAS machine being the only domain controller.
Everything seems to work fine. I also can assign permissions for Active Directory users to the datasets, so the Active Directory installation seems to run perfectly fine.
Unfortunately, the Active Directory users and groups do not show up on the web UI's Accounts section. Only the local FreeNAS users and groups are shown.

The reason why I need the Active Directory users and groups to show up on the web UI is the following:
I'm also running Plex Media Server on the FreeNAS box. All the shares are on a dataset which is owned by DOMAIN\myuser (group DOMAIN\plexmedia).
By default, Plex does not recognize the files in this additional dataset. There's some workaround, though:

I have to chgrp some files of the Plex installation so that they have the same gid as the share directory (i. e. the gid of DOMAIN\plexmedia). But how can I find out that gid? The easiest would be to select the group in the web UI and read its gid, but as the AD groups are not shown up there, there's no easy way to find out the gid.
(I can use wbinfo commands on the console of FreeNAS of course, but I cannot imagine that this is the way this is meant to be done.)

Any ideas on how to find out the gid of AD groups or users?
Or: Any ideas on how to make the AD groups and users appear on the FreeNAS web UI?

Thanks,
TomS

D

dlavigne

Unfortunately, the Active Directory users and groups do not show up on the web UI's Accounts section. Only the local FreeNAS users and groups are shown.

That is correct. AD users are not populated to that screen, but should show up in the drop-down menu when you select the permissions of a dataset used for a share.

(I can use wbinfo commands on the console of FreeNAS of course, but I cannot imagine that this is the way this is meant to be done.)

Typically, one sets the perms at the dataset level, but that command can be used as well to confirm that the users are being correctly populated.

Status
Not open for further replies.