Activating Plex hardware acceleration

elorimer

Contributor
Switching to TrueNAS 13.0 from 12.0-U8.1 solved all problems with hardware acceleration. Cheers!
For me, somewhere along the way to 8.1 and the most recent plex software, my problems with Gemini Lake hardware transcoding were resolved. I stumbled on this by accident because I rebuilt my main pool with new drives, so reinstalled plex. I don't know why I even thought to try hardware transcoding.

DevilNAS

Dabbler
Switching to TrueNAS 13.0 from 12.0-U8.1 solved all problems with hardware acceleration. Cheers!
Great to know but now I am sold to SCALE. It's been working great!

Yorick

Wizard
In quick testing right now, without playing a movie all the way through, I can confirm. Where previously Plex would start playing and then "hang" when hw transcode was enabled on a Xeon E3, now it has no issues. I think I remember that Plex officially supports hw transcode on FreeBSD 13.x, so that'd make sense.

To get there I:
- Upgraded the jail to 13.1-RELEASE
- Ran pkg upgrade -y inside it
- Ran service plexmediaserver restart inside it
- No changes to the postinit script

The postinit script I am using is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo '[devfsrules_bpfjail=101]
add path 'bpf*' unhide

[plex_drm=10]
add include $devfsrules_hide_all
add include $devfsrules_unhide_basic
add include $devfsrules_unhide_login
add include $devfsrules_jail
add include $devfsrules_bpfjail
add path 'dri*' unhide
add path 'dri/*' unhide
add path 'drm*' unhide
add path 'drm/*' unhide' >> /etc/devfs.rules

service devfs restart

kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko

The jail uses that ruleset 10.

So yea, we're all glad that plex hw transcoding now works. Unfortunately, there is still trouble with having both IPMI and hw transcode working together. It's either disable one of those two or the jail freezes from time to time and a SERVER RESET is necessary to get it working again...
Is there a solution inbound?

EDIT: Seems that the recent version has iGPU issues, still unresolved.

Last edited:
So yea, we're all glad that plex hw transcoding now works. Unfortunately, there is still trouble with having both IPMI and hw transcode working together. It's either disable one of those two or the jail freezes from time to time and a SERVER RESET is necessary to get it working again...
Is there a solution inbound?

EDIT: Seems that the recent version has iGPU issues, still unresolved.
replying to myself to let you know, hw transcoding is again fixed for me since upgrading to plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.28.2.6103

replying to myself to let you know, hw transcoding is again fixed for me since upgrading to plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.28.2.6103
Seems, hw trancode is still unstable on 1.28.2.6151 and it's still freezing the jail (no restart possible) when I want IPMI also working.
Is this ever gonna be fixed on FreeBSD?

Code:
* Stopping pms
  + Executing prestop OK
  + Stopping services FAILED
ERROR:

Last edited:

SW77

Dabbler
I have also noticed that with Hardware transcoding enabled you can not do a coversion through Plex.
I'm using

Plex Version 1.28.2.6103​

I filed a bug and according to @William Grzybowski it's an upstream FreeBSD issue where IX can't really do anything. Let's hope for improvements with U3.

Nothing changed with U3. TrueNAS Core and plex hw transcode is a tragedy.

elorimer

Contributor
yes it was working, and with everything updated it's not.

I'm pretty sure this is related to Core packing an old graphics driver for intel iGPUs.

pkg info drm-kmod says
Version : g20190710_1 is installed.

a driver package from 2019.

pkg search drm-kmod would provide us with
drm-kmod-20220907_1

But I'm not sure on how this would apply to my plex jail. Swapping the packages in the TrueNAS host could result in boot lock,
anyone can help?

Jorsher

Explorer
I should have Googled.

Have been wondering why I can't get hardware acceleration working. I completely removed my jail and started over, along with rebuilding the libraries, and it still wasn't working. I try to test it, Plex eventually throws a '1003 network' error, Plex process can't be stopped, jail can't be stopped even while forced.

@mistermanko it seems to be fixed now. drm-kmod should still hopefully be updated with future TrueNAS releases, but updating Plex to the latest version (I use PMS_Updater.sh) should fix it.

hw transcode on core is a lost cause. I switched to SCALE.

Jorsher

Explorer
OK.

For everyone else, hardware acceleration for iGPU on TrueNAS Core 13.0-U3.1 and Plex 1.30.0.6486 is working with the usual steps.

sretalla