6Gbps SAS expander tray JBOD du jour

Brad303

Dabbler
Hey all,

I'm looking for a SAS expander tray. What's everyone getting off eBay these days?

6Gpbs is preferred interface speed, but the primary use case is backups, so speed isn't a primary concern.

Thx.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Supermicro chassis in the desired size are the safe bet. If not already in JBOD configuration, you can swap the motherboard for a Supermicro JBOD controller card for a very neat setup. Alternatively, you can hack in a power switch.

I think some people have had luck with Dell MD1200s, but those are going to be more painful to update if you don't have Dell hardware lying around.

Brad303

Dabbler
I've got a 4U Chenbro chassis I can use, but I'd rather have a dedicated and workgroup/enterprise rig. I have another 4U Chenbro that I'm currently using as a tray, with a Universal Expansion Kit that handles power and has standoffs for the expander:

Problem with that solution is UEKs are hard to find, and most of the 4U is empty space at that point.

I've heard of the Dell MD1200s, and will continue to look into them. I have plenty of other Dell kit, so I don't think interoperability will be a problem.

I was looking at the Hitachi DF-F800-AKH300. It's only 3Gbps, but also only $100.

Just looking for more ideas.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Other popular rebrands are the Lenovo SA120 or HP D2600, but you may have similar firmware challenges. Supermicro is the preferred option.

(You can also get enterprise SAN trays for very cheap, but virtually guarantee both firmware weirdness and expensive proprietary drive trays that way.)