Converting Dell PowerVault 220s SCSI chassis for SATA use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogdor

Dabbler
With SCSI pretty much a relic at this point, you might stumble upon some 3U 19" deep 14-drive Dell PowerVault 220s chassis at your local recyclers for extremely cheap or even free. The insides are held in with just a few screws and they seem like an excellent candidate for a server, with 12" x 17" of room behind the drives for an mATX/ATX system or SAS expander and power supply.

This is just the teardown and some further ideas; I really wanted to show off the finished product, however none of my server-sized motherboards will fit into these cases, with no upgrade/expander plans in the near future. Hopefully this gives you some ideas at least, for this chassis or any others you might come across.

This is very much a hackjob, proceed at your own risk. This information is provided for free with no support, guarantees or warranties, either expressed or implied.

If you're looking at buying one of these, don't count on selling the drives or components to make your money back, nobody wants these boat anchors (ask me how I know) and don't even think about paying to ship one!

Two heavy redundant hotswap power supplies and loud coolers.

Delta makes great (OEM) PSUs and that's a lot of amps, will make great workbench or battery charging supplies. Could be adapted to run drives but you wouldn't want the loud-ass blower modules running on it, not sure how many watts it could push without forced air cooling. Not for the faint of heart as these have proprietary plug-in pin connectors and will need disassemble, soldering, etc. If you're brave, just be warned that the capacitors inside can hold a charge for years and pack a painful punch.

Two U320 SCSI cards (other one is in the bag) and a bus selector card for joined/split/cluster mode... throw em on eBay for fun.

Front bezel comes off with a dozen little black Torx, middle carrier slides out. Only thing inside is lightpipes for the LEDs, plenty of room for a couple SSDs... (this doesn't actually need to come off for the rear tray and backplane to come out)

Remove four case screws and the rear tray (17" wide x 12" deep) which held the PSUs and controller cards can slide out the back, also releasing the backplane from inside.

SCSI SCA80 backplane, just some connectors, power filtering, hotplug and inrush current management, and a lot of carefully-routed impedance controlled signal lines in there somewhere.

PCB is 3mm thick and very stiff to withstand getting repeatedly thunked with drives, wonder how many actual layers inside?

14 bays, ~17" wide ~19" deep 3U ~5" tall, very sturdy steel case!

At this point you could just (gently) throw a mobo and PSU into the back of the case and wire directly to the drives. I'm not too fussed about hot swapping drives, but with a bit of effort we can make this hackjob much easier to work on.

To make room for the motherboard, the middle section of the rear tray can be removed by drilling out a few rivets in the bottom and using a Dremel/snips/hacksaw to cut away whatever is needed. It would be nice to leave as much of this as possible, as it provides a lot of stiffness and might even allow one of the original (modified) power supplies to just slide right in...

To actually mount the board, spend $20 on a threaded insert riveter kit, mark then drill the mounting holes, and you'll end up with basically standoffs like these from another project:

Keep in mind the tray we're mounting to can flex, so depending on the inserts used it might need another standoff stacked for height, or even a piece of not-conductive/-flammable/-static plastic underneath for safety.

As for the drives, I didn't find any SAS/SATA backplanes that could be swapped straight in. Designing your own PCB is possible but obviously complicated, wouldn't trust my data to it and will end up being quite expensive to manufacture a board this large and thick. Since the hard drive trays/spuds are just brackets, the connectors are exposed and could plug directly into a panel-mount SATA-with-power plug like below, ideally a SFF-8087 breakout right?

r1KaCPF.jpg

h4mfLXTm.jpg

Now we just need a nice stiff ~3mm thick piece of steel/aluminum to mount these... needs to have all the speed holes for cooling, and maybe some through-hole LEDs collared into the right places to shine into the drive tray lightpipes... Shouldn't be too hard with a friend who has a machine shop...

Last edited:

xyz-cases

Dabbler
My Google-fu must have lost it's power. I can't for the life of me find the panel-mount SATA-with-power plug for sale anywhere. Could you please point me to a site that sells them.
r1KaCPF.jpg

I could really use it for a custom case project I'm currently planning.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you checked DigiKey, Farnell, Mouser and the like?

xyz-cases

Dabbler
I've been googling:
"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata adapter"
"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata adapter panel mount"
"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata adapter panel-mount"
"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata adapter direct plane "

"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata cable"
"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata cable panel mount"
"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata cable panel-mount"
"22 pin male to 22 pin female sata cable direct plane "

"male to female sata adapter"
"male to female sata adapter panel mount"
"male to female sata adapter panel-mount"
"male to female sata adapter direct plane "

Without finding anything but OEM vendors. I'm in contact with two of them now, but so far the minimum order is 100 pcs.

I'll check the sites you posted! Thanks!

Grogdor

Dabbler
I'm in contact with two of them now, but so far the minimum order is 100 pcs.

Any luck? Got some Alibaba quotes years ago but never followed up. I may be interested in splitting a 100pcs order with you, SFF-8087 to panel-mount SFF-8482 that I can mount in a piece of acrylic or metal for a non-PCB backplane.

Only a few years later, here's a Dell T110 II salvage build in one of these cases:

VuGMTZV.jpg

#6-32 UNC aluminum threaded rivets (the "thicker computer screw" thread, thinner is M3, can use whatever you have that fits though) aren't very tall, but after mounting the board I'm no longer worried about the bottom of it shorting out. There's enough screws in the mobo (minus one hole that was waaay off, oops) and the sheet is stiff enough that there's very little flex. Once it's slid into the chassis, there is no way it'll move at all.

The threaded inserts/rivets/standoffs grip the sheet really well once squished and don't protrude out the bottom enough to impede sliding back into the chassis. Harbour Freight link for cheap tool with rivets is above in OP, or for Canada: metric and imperial.

4khpH3x.jpg

PSU is just double-sided sticky velcro-stripped down to the case, not going anywhere. It just barely fits alongside! See sharpie line in previous pic. Highly recommend modular PSU, or sacrificial that you can chop unused cables off, because it's going to get tight.

aEzSaBX.jpg

Stuffed some 15k SAS drives for "burn" in, they hit 65-72c with no airflow! Adding a single 92mm to the back while plugging the empty drive slots with an old t-shirt and closing off the rear of the case with tape/cardboard to ensure proper airflow over the drives dropped the temperatures down to a cozy 35-45c, making me pretty confident that a chassis full of drives with two or three low'n'slow 120mm will keep temps and noise reasonable enough.

The $10 eBay SFF-8087/8482 ATX-powered cables work but they're like 5ft long and unlikely to coil into the case, especially 14 of them. Still toying with cables, controllers, SSDs, front panel LEDs/button... cya in a couple years?

Complete albums:
Old/new build pics https://imgur.com/a/XrJ0Q
Power supply details/re-purpose https://imgur.com/a/Zqvvo
Teardown https://imgur.com/a/4ZUNY

Status
Not open for further replies.