1st storage server - FreeNAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir SSV

Explorer
So when I go into storage -> volumes -> volume manager

4pwqlGm.png

Create a volume name (such as "tank") and under Volume layout do I only select 8 disks then press Add Extra Device and add another 8 disks until I have 3 vdev's of 8 disks?

Also, can this be done via the manual setup?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes to both questions.

Stux

MVP
You can create and destroy datasets whenever you want, with no real restrictions other than what you're willing to deal with.

And move/rename too :)

Sir SSV

Explorer
And move/rename too :)

With the datasets, are these essentially folders that will have my files in? For example, I need 4 folders (movies, music, photos, apps). Do I need to create 4 separate datasets (giving each one a record size of 1M?)

Stux

MVP
With the datasets, are these essentially folders that will have my files in? For example, I need 4 folders (movies, music, photos, apps). Do I need to create 4 separate datasets (giving each one a record size of 1M?)

They are filesystems. They can have fundamentally different properties each, and can be shared/replicated/shapshotted and cloned separately.

It may make sense to have a 1M record size on your movies, but it does not on your music directory. Ergo that'd provide a good reason to use a dataset.

A good way is to think about your backup policy. If you will be treating the set of data differently to another set.... then they should be in different datasets ;)

But TV and Movies? Both Media to me and would be folders in a media dataset.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It may make sense to have a 1M record size on your movies, but it does not on your music directory. Ergo that'd provide a good reason to use a dataset.
It might for music too.

Sir SSV

Explorer
They are filesystems. They can have fundamentally different properties each, and can be shared/replicated/shapshotted and cloned separately.

A good way is to think about your backup policy. If you will be treating the set of data differently to another set.... then they should be in different datasets ;)

But TV and Movies? Both Media to me and would be folders in a media dataset.

Ok this makes a lot of sense. Now this might be a really dumb question, once I have created a dataset for media, to add sub folders inside that dataset for each category ie. movies, tv shows, etc do I just create folder on my windows machine (once SMBs shares has been completed)?

danb35

Hall of Famer
to add sub folders inside that dataset for each category ie. movies, tv shows, etc do I just create folder on my windows machine
Yes, or you can do it from the command line in FreeNAS if you want.

Stux

MVP

Arwen

MVP
Ok this makes a lot of sense. Now this might be a really dumb question, once I have created a dataset for media, to add sub folders inside that dataset for each category ie. movies, tv shows, etc do I just create folder on my windows machine (once SMBs shares has been completed)?
In my case, I did something like this, with only Media being the separate dataset. All the children are folders / directories, for the sole reason to make sanity out of chaos :smile:.

Media
Media/Videos
Media/Videos/Action
Media/Videos/Action/MacGyver
Media/Videos/Action/MacGyver/1
Media/Videos/Action/MacGyver/2
Media/Videos/Fantasy
Media/Videos/Fantasy/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer

Sir SSV

Explorer
Thanks for all the help guys! I have 2 more questions, in my situation if I create 2 datasets (media and general where all movies, tv shows etc will go in media and music, apps go in general) under Share Type I should set this to Windows as this will be the primary computers connecting to it?

And when I create the smb shares, will these 2 datasets appear in the shares and then I can create sub-folders under the relevant dataset?

If I delete a dataset, does this mean all files stored in that dataset will be deleted?

Stux

MVP
Thanks for all the help guys! I have 2 more questions, in my situation if I create 2 datasets (media and general where all movies, tv shows etc will go in media and music, apps go in general) under Share Type I should set this to Windows as this will be the primary computers connecting to it?

Seems like a good idea

And when I create the smb shares, will these 2 datasets appear in the shares and then I can create sub-folders under the relevant dataset?

Yes

If I delete a dataset, does this mean all files stored in that dataset will be deleted?

Yes. Gone for good too.

Sir SSV

Explorer
Seems like a good idea

Yes

Yes. Gone for good too.

Thanks :) I'm starting to make progress! I've made 3 separate datasets being

* Media (with 1024k record size)
* Music (with default record size)
* General (with default record size)

Now I need to set users or permissions as when I try to map the network drive in Windows, the log in credentials are incorrect. Should I create a new user or use the standard "root" and add this somewhere in permissions of the share?

Stux

MVP

Stux

MVP
Perfect! That fixed all my permissions, etc and I now have full mapped network drives on my Windows 10 machine :)

Because I have 3 datasets as per my previous post, is it normal for all 3 datasets to be identical in size?

You mean available space?

If all the datasets are on the same pool they will show the same free space. The datasets are not pre provisioned and limited to only a portion of it but the space used from one will subtract from another.

Stux

MVP
Unless you set quotas on the dataset, but there is no reason to do that on a personal system

Sir SSV

Explorer
Unless you set quotas on the dataset, but there is no reason to do that on a personal system

Ok, this all makes sense now :)

I am still contemplating whether I should have 3 separate datasets or if I just create 1 dataset and place subfolders for media/music/general

Status
Not open for further replies.