editing video with 1-5 user on freenas box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keven

Contributor
hi i want to know if the part i have come up will be a good match for this project.

it will start with 50tb raw and able to expand to 200TB of raw storage over SMB share

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1220 V6 3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($264.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSL-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: *Crucial - 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($229.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: *ADATA - Ultimate SU650 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Hitachi - Deskstar NAS 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($389.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Hitachi - Deskstar NAS 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($389.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ PC-Canada)
Wired Network Adapter: Asus - XG-C100C PCI-Express x4 10 Gbit/s Network Adapter ($124.42 @ Amazon Canada)
Other: NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 20 Hot-Swappable ($529.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Other: 16-PORT Int, 6GB/S Sata+sas, Pcie 2.0; In The Box: Lsi Sas 9201-16I, Qig, Driver ($250.00)
Other: CableCreation Internal Mini SAS HD Cable, Mini SAS SFF-8643 to Mini SAS 36Pin SFF-8087 Cable, Mini SAS 36Pin to SFF-8643 Cable, 0.5M ($20.00)
Other: CableCreation Internal Mini SAS HD Cable, Mini SAS SFF-8643 to Mini SAS 36Pin SFF-8087 Cable, Mini SAS 36Pin to SFF-8643 Cable, 0.5M ($20.00)
Other: Mini SAS SFF-8087 36 Pin to 4 X 7 Pin SATA - 1 Meter ($13.99)
Other: 2x Seasonic-6pin-to-three-Molex-connectors-Modular-Cable-SS-63xMolex ($10.00)
Total: $3823.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-26 16:39 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($155.99 @ PC-Canada)
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSL-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: *Crucial - 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($229.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: *ADATA - Ultimate SU650 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ PC-Canada)
Other: NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 20 Hot-Swappable ($529.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Other: Mini SAS SFF-8087 36 Pin to 4 X 7 Pin SATA - 1 Meter ($13.99)
Total: $3249.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-26 16:44 EDT-0400

if you can comment of the 2 version the first is the max out with everything ready for the big game and the 2nd one is the bare minimum to first work with 5 drive and the will be able to expand in the future.

let me know your opinion and if i should change some part to be more cost effective, because it looks like my friend want to lower the budget after giving me a higher one to do my build.

pschatz100

Guru
hi i want to know if the part i have come up will be a good match for this project.

it will start with 50tb raw and able to expand to 200TB of raw storage over SMB share

if you can comment of the 2 version the first is the max out with everything ready for the big game and the 2nd one is the bare minimum to first work with 5 drive and the will be able to expand in the future.

let me know your opinion and if i should change some part to be more cost effective, because it looks like my friend want to lower the budget after giving me a higher one to do my build.
It is difficult to make comments without more detail about how you plan to configure and use your system.

- Exactly what do you want to do with this system?

- Why do you start with a Core i3 processor if you know you plan to upgrade to a Xeon? The price difference isn't all that great.

- What kind of disk array are you considering? Z1, Z2, Z3? What is your tolerance for failure. How much usable storage do you want to end up with?

- What is your plan for maintaining backups of the data?

Keven

Contributor
It is difficult to make comments without more detail about how you plan to configure and use your system.

- Exactly what do you want to do with this system?

- Why do you start with a Core i3 processor if you know you plan to upgrade to a Xeon? The price difference isn't all that great.

- What kind of disk array are you considering? Z1, Z2, Z3? What is your tolerance for failure. How much usable storage do you want to end up with?

- What is your plan for maintaining backups of the data?

1st As told it the title i want to put the raw footage (video and photo) in the freenas box and edit from freenas as a network drive for the windows PC's. most likely SMB share and maybe FTP too. for the 10Gbit card i will add that when the 1Gbit ethernet jack will be a real bottleneck and the LSI HBA when his storage needs will increase

2nd The i3 versus xeon is not planned to be an upgrade path... just and alternative cheaper. at first a throw a the lowest kabylake chip with support for ECC and that xeon with 4 cores would give plenny of room to do thing that where not planned initially. but the skylake i3 is still a good chip for a file server with some room to do thing that i'm not thinking my friend will someday want to do. in the end it's a way to save 110$ without losing ECC.

3rd planning a Z1 with 4 drive 10TB drive at first and in the future he will be expanding to 20 10TB drive and at some point i most probally re-do the vdev and pool to have at the end 1 RAIDZ2 of 20 drives OR 2 RAIDZ1 of 10 drives each so i will have 180TB of available storage.

4th The plan for backup is still to be teach to my friend... little footstep at a time because now he have no backup, no redundancy, no snapshot and he is editing from external drive. I know saying that here, i will be hammered by the community, but for now because of the budget... the backup plan is not really a thing. most likely some footage will stay backup on those external drive, but most likely because it's not automated some project will not be backup for now. i hope in the future he will unlock some budget to do a 2nd freenas box that i could do a replication task.

Yesterday I was seeding the idea of a TRUE backup solution as 1 freenas box is not a backup plan and maybe tomorrow he will realize that. i don't know how long it will take him to realize that, but at least his situation will be improve with ZFS bitrode protection and 1 drive of tolerance fault.

pschatz100

Guru
1st As told it the title i want to put the raw footage (video and photo) in the freenas box and edit from freenas as a network drive for the windows PC's. most likely SMB share and maybe FTP too. for the 10Gbit card i will add that when the 1Gbit ethernet jack will be a real bottleneck and the LSI HBA when his storage needs will increase
So you are going to use FreeNAS as a file server only, and have up to 5 users editing video.

2nd The i3 versus xeon is not planned to be an upgrade path... just and alternative cheaper. at first a throw a the lowest kabylake chip with support for ECC and that xeon with 4 cores would give plenny of room to do thing that where not planned initially. but the skylake i3 is still a good chip for a file server with some room to do thing that i'm not thinking my friend will someday want to do. in the end it's a way to save 110$ without losing ECC.
The passmark rating for the Core i3-6100 is 5490. For a file server, the Core i3 would be enough. But, if you plan to do any transcoding on the FreeNAS box (such as you might do if you were using Plex to play video), then it will likely limit you to two HD streams if you use h.264 compression. If you use h.265 compression, then it won't be powerful enough. Remember that all transcoding on a FreeNAS box will be done in the CPU.

3rd planning a Z1 with 4 drive 10TB drive at first and in the future he will be expanding to 20 10TB drive and at some point i most probally re-do the vdev and pool to have at the end 1 RAIDZ2 of 20 drives OR 2 RAIDZ1 of 10 drives each so i will have 180TB of available storage.
Using RaidZ1 with 10TB drives is not recommended for important data. As drives get larger, resilvering times get longer and the chances that a second disk may fail also go way up. If you were to have two disks malfunction with RaidZ1, your entire pool would be lost. I would use at least RaidZ2.

You might want to compute how much usable space you will have with the configurations you are considering - it might be less than you think. Several forum members have posted capacity calculators to help predict usable space for various pool configurations. Some searching will turn up helpful discussions about disk size and RaidZ fault tolerance, capacity, and performance of various pool configurations.

Stux

MVP
I would suggest RaidZ2. That would probably suggest you want to use 6-way Vdevs. 6-way vdevs would suggest you might want to consider a 24bay version of the norco instead of the 20 bay.

Would be surprised if a single vdev is capable of saturating the 10gbit connection with 5 active editors.

You may even want to consider smaller drives and more of them for more performance.

A single 8 port SAS HBA to a 36 port SAS expander would drive the norco fine. At the moment I assume your plan is to use the 16 port + 4 motherboard ports for pure 6gbps to each SATA drive. which of course won't actually be able to make use of that bandwidth, as at the highest end HDs only get 350MB/s on the very outer tracks.

Perhaps even consider one of the 36 bay systems... that gets you up to six vdevs of six drives... and would allow you to reach your capacity targets with more vdevs made of cheaper lower capacity drives.

editing video off a NAS at 10gbps is hard.

JohnK

Patron
You want to look at you cable choices for both builds. For build one you want something like:
Meter Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial Ata Breakout
Built 2 you would only need SATA cables.

With that said, I personally would look for a nice 2nd hand Supermicro 4u chassis with SAS2 backpane.

Lastly, if going with the Xeon, I would recommend the E3-1230. For a small price difference you get double the cores.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Lastly, if going with the Xeon, I would recommend the E3-1230. For a small price difference you get double the cores.

Threads.

But yes, one of intel’s better value upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.