13th gen intel GPU passthrough not working with TrueNAS

xokia

Cadet
I might have a few different issues here hope someone has done something similar.

I can get Plex up and running on TrueNAS installing the version with the plex pass (I have a plex pass)
This works fine and transcode works. But I am trying to use the GPU for transcoding. I can't figure out how to get the GPU enabled so that plex sees it and uses it.

I have TrueNAS running in a proxmox container. I have enabled IOMMU and passed through the GPU

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device a780 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8882
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at fb000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
I/O ports at 5000
Expansion ROM at fc000000 [disabled]
Capabilities: [40] Vendor Specific Information: Len=0c <?>
Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00

Do I need to install the video drivers? I have no /dev/dri directory
Passthrough from poxmox to TrueNas not working correctly?

Davvo

MVP

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You have TrueNAS Core running in a Proxmox container?

Please check your number and try your call again. That is simply not possible. Containers utilize the kernel of the host system, and a Linux kernel CANNOT run TrueNAS Core. Even Proxmox's VM support for PCIe passthru is very weedy and experimental and this wouldn't be EXPECTED to work there either.

xokia

Cadet
You have TrueNAS Core running in a Proxmox container?

Please check your number and try your call again. That is simply not possible. Containers utilize the kernel of the host system, and a Linux kernel CANNOT run TrueNAS Core. Even Proxmox's VM support for PCIe passthru is very weedy and experimental and this wouldn't be EXPECTED to work there either.
Sorry meant to type virtual machine. I have TrueNAS in a proxmoxVM. Seems to work fine aside from the video card issue.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
YouTube doesn't work here, and I wouldn't want to watch a dubious YouTube video because they kill brain cells with misinformation. Only half kidding.

Please note that YouTube videos often contain misinformation, and you should probably follow the forum guidance on how to virtualize correctly, or at least make sure that you've done all the things listed here:

Proxmox is stable for some people when using PCIe passthru but not for others. Even the Proxmox folks list it as experimental support. Generally, if it works and doesn't seem to have any problems for a month, it's likely to be good to go. It is much less likely to work correctly on non-Supermicro hardware and also hardware older than maybe Skylake. The i's that need to be dotted and t's that need to be crossed are annoying in quantity, and only the big server manufacturers (Dell, HP, Supermicro, IBM) seem to have gotten this right consistently.

Dice

Wizard
This generates allergic reactions.
Don't attempt to pass through individual drives ontop of controller like that dude does.

Read the guide above.
Don't virtualize until you fluently understand that guide. Note, this is different from "copying the steps".

It is pretty cool how one's reading of the guide changes - as knowledge increases.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This generates allergic reactions.

So I win because I can't watch YouTube links....? (best news all day)

It is pretty cool how one's reading of the guide changes - as knowledge increases.

But this frustrates me. My goal is to bootstrap sufficient knowledge for success, so if you are saying that I've failed somehow, I really do want, solicit, demand, and will actively storm your house with a squad of GrinchTroopers to obtain any suggestions you might have. :smile:

xokia

Cadet
I gave up folks I could not get it to work the way I wanted so just went to a pure windows based system. I tried just using TrueNAS as just a SMB server and then unbuntu for plex media server. It would work great for about 3 hours then crash. For my needs its all overkill anyway. I was just looking for a dedicated plex server while also having a windows machine I could also do things on. This thread can be closed.

Dice

Wizard
I gave up folks I could not get it to work the way I wanted so just went to a pure windows based system. I tried just using TrueNAS as just a SMB server and then unbuntu for plex media server. It would work great for about 3 hours then crash. For my needs its all overkill anyway. I was just looking for a dedicated plex server while also having a windows machine I could also do things on. This thread can be closed.
At this point, this was the best possible outcome. No data lost and no heart break.

One day you'll find your way to ZFS again, I'm sure.
Good luck on your journey.

Dice

Wizard
But this frustrates me. My goal is to bootstrap sufficient knowledge for success, so if you are saying that I've failed somehow, I really do want, solicit, demand, and will actively storm your house with a squad of GrinchTroopers to obtain any suggestions you might have. :smile:
I searched around a bit for the particular post I thought I was referring to here:

Turns out that must have been another of your snippets on how to go about virtualization (or at least my post/our discussion has been lost to search in the forum-migrations) I can't find the particular one.

I might add thoughts in the resource discussion thread.

Davvo

MVP

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I might add thoughts in the resource discussion thread.

I always welcome feedback about where I was successful, but also more importantly where I screwed up. I do not write these things for me, I write them for everyone else.

Dice

Wizard
I distinctly remember part of a sentence that I wrote which kind of summarized the compliment for the well written advice.
"masterfully hidden in plain sight".
too bad I can't find the thread.

Dice

Wizard
Obviously, it just showed up: