11.2-BETA Plugin Uncertainties

par

Explorer
Hello I was eager to try out 11.2 betas but was a bit miffed by Sonarr being broken in BETA2 and TTRSS not working in BETA3.

I have a whole bunch of random questions regarding plugins and permissions. In 11.1 I ran everything in jails and skipped the built-in extensions.
  1. Should I create multiple datasets in my pool for each media type? Movies, Music, TV?
  2. What is the *11.2* best practice for permissions? I will have a mix of official Plugins, my own Jails, and probably some VMs that need access to the data, either write to certain datasets or read only for others.
  3. How exactly do 11.2 Plugin updates work? When I click "upgrade" it just instantly says "upgrade successful" and doesn't seem to actually do anything.
  4. How do all of the storage paths like for configs work for plugins? How can I snapshot either the entire Plugin or just its own config data?
  5. Are people installing the plugins sort of as a template and then tweaking them further via the console? If that's the case would it be better to just run custom jails?
  6. Is it possible to install multiple instances of the same plugin?
I think the most confusion I have is with how permissions should be handled. I have seen the big "this is how you do permissions" thread but all of that information is now out of date as of 11.2. I tried asking some questions in that thread and never got a response so I thought I'd make a new thread. Instead of some weird configuration with naming users the same or messing with UIDs is there a simple permissions solution with datasets+plugins+jails+VMs? In conjunction with SMB samba shares? Here is my post in the other thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ssions-to-your-data.27273/page-19#post-474608

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
What is the *11.2* best practice for permissions?
I don't believe there's any difference here compared to 11.1. What makes you think all the old information is out of date?

par

Explorer
I don't believe there's any difference here compared to 11.1. What makes you think all the old information is out of date?
It's not that I think it's out of date, rather that it doesn't correlate with the new web UI, new plugins, new jails and new VMs. Solution 4 is silly and Solution 3 is probably the only way to do what I'm looking to do, but I tested it and ran into problems. I guess by a "simple permissions solution" I mean one that can be managed purely with the new FreeNAS UI and not via the shell. The guide simply says "Change permission of the data dataset/folders to allow group writing" and I do not see any way to handle this in the new web UI. If this (what I would consider an extremely common use case) cannot be configured through the UI then I would question the point of making a UI for iocages in the first place.

By the way have you not tried 11.2? Your post says 11.1.

garm

Wizard
Haven’t looked at the new UI closely yet, but I would be extremely surprised if you could not set group permissions on datasets. I mean “file a bug report because the UI is broken”- kind of surprised.

Donovan

Cadet
Hi there, I was wondering if you ever figured out a solution to this. I have set the permissions share to 777 and Sonarr still is unable to write to the directory. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

par

Explorer
Hi there, I was wondering if you ever figured out a solution to this. I have set the permissions share to 777 and Sonarr still is unable to write to the directory. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Set the owner permissions from inside the jail. If you check the directory owner from inside the jail it may show up as "1000" and then if you chown it to root or whatever Sonarr user you might use. I'm not really sure why I had to do that but it worked for me.

Donovan

Cadet
Thank you very much for the response, I really appreciate the help. This has been making me insane. How do I check the check the directory owner from inside the jail and how do I change the permissions from inside the jail using chown once I do? I set it up using the plugin in 11.2 U3 and never created another user so it's probably running as root? IDK, obviously new to Freenas. Thanks again!

par

Explorer
Thank you very much for the response, I really appreciate the help. This has been making me insane. How do I check the check the directory owner from inside the jail and how do I change the permissions from inside the jail using chown once I do? I set it up using the plugin in 11.2 U3 and never created another user so it's probably running as root? IDK, obviously new to Freenas. Thanks again!
Not sure if you want to do this, it worked for me but was from the beta. I have 2 separate paths mounted for Sonarr, one for my download folder and the other for my tv folder. If you click the jail from within Freenas, go to Shell, "cd" to where you have your mountpoints, then use "ll" to see the permissions. In my case I had to "chown -R root Downloads/" but then also "chown -R sonarr TV/" -- then if you check "ll" again after instead of the user/group being 1000/1000 it will be root/1000 and sonarr/1000 which makes the Downloads folder readable and the TV folder writable to Sonarr. If this is at all confusing I would suggest following an updated guide from somewhere. The problem basically is that you may have 777 permissions from OUTSIDE the jail, but INSIDE the jail it is using some other form of permissions, which is resolved by changing the owner from 1000 to root or sonarr. If this all sounds really stupid to you then I agree! Good luck.

Donovan

Cadet
Not sure if you want to do this, it worked for me but was from the beta. I have 2 separate paths mounted for Sonarr, one for my download folder and the other for my tv folder. If you click the jail from within Freenas, go to Shell, "cd" to where you have your mountpoints, then use "ll" to see the permissions. In my case I had to "chown -R root Downloads/" but then also "chown -R sonarr TV/" -- then if you check "ll" again after instead of the user/group being 1000/1000 it will be root/1000 and sonarr/1000 which makes the Downloads folder readable and the TV folder writable to Sonarr. If this is at all confusing I would suggest following an updated guide from somewhere. The problem basically is that you may have 777 permissions from OUTSIDE the jail, but INSIDE the jail it is using some other form of permissions, which is resolved by changing the owner from 1000 to root or sonarr. If this all sounds really stupid to you then I agree! Good luck.
I will definitely give it a shot. Thank you so much par!

par

Explorer
I will definitely give it a shot. Thank you so much par!
If you or someone else figures out a better way then let me know! I think this has to do with Plugin/Jail user UID and GID set by the Freenas user management. There is probably a way to configure permissions without touching the command line but I could never figure it out.

Donovan

Cadet
If you or someone else figures out a better way then let me know! I think this has to do with Plugin/Jail user UID and GID set by the Freenas user management. There is probably a way to configure permissions without touching the command line but I could never figure it out.
I just tried to cd to the mount point directory from the shell inside the jail and it says "access denied". In fact, it doesn't even show the directory tree from inside the jail shell... but when I do the same thing from the root shell, it shows the mount point directory... ugh. Definitely seems like you're right about the jail not being able to access the media share even though the permissions are set wide open to 777.

Do you know the command for "show user"? to show the name of the user running in the Sonar jail?

par

Explorer
I just tried to cd to the mount point directory from the shell inside the jail and it says "access denied".
Try to set the owner of that mount point directory itself, maybe without the -R flag, does that allow you to cd into it? I think I may have had the same problem but it was half a year ago, working since then :D

par

Explorer
Do you know the command for "show user"? to show the name of the user running in the Sonar jail?
The user is "sonarr" if you installed via the Freenas Plugin. You can also try running "top" and will see the sonarr process running and under which user.

Donovan

Cadet
The user is "sonarr" if you installed via the Freenas Plugin. You can also try running "top" and will see the sonarr process running and under which user.
So would I chown the mount point to Sonarr?

Donovan

Cadet
Sorry, I’m still learning the command line, thanks for your patience. What is the syntax?
Here's the output from running top:

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
31689 root 1 20 0 7916K 3228K CPU1 1 0:00 0.02% top
26488 sonarr 15 20 0 244M 170M uwait 1 0:38 0.01% mono-sgen
26495 root 1 20 0 6464K 2428K nanslp 2 0:00 0.00% cron
31575 root 1 20 0 7412K 3692K pause 1 0:00 0.00% csh
26434 root 1 20 0 6412K 2412K select 4 0:00 0.00% syslogd
31574 root 1 52 0 6952K 2932K wait 5 0:00 0.00% login
26239 _dhcp 1 20 0 6544K 2540K select 5 0:00 0.00% dhclient
26220 root 1 49 0 6544K 2428K select 2 0:00 0.00% dhclient

Donovan

Cadet
So this is a weird workaround but it worked, I FTPed into the server and changed the permissions of the download folder... even though I had changed all the permissions in Freenas and set them recursively, it didn't change that one folder for some reason. Sonarr is now working perfectly, lol. Thanks so much for your help, par!

Update - It turns out the issue wasn't Sonar at all - it was SABNZBD changing the permissions. I changed the settings to 777 and now all is working.

Last edited: