Plugin permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jr922

Explorer
I just broke both plex and transmission plugins after changing the permissions on the datasets to 770, previously 755 I think. I did this because tranmission couldn't write and I thought since they are all in the same group it wouldn't matter and I thought group write would fix my transmission having permission denied.

After no luck messing with permissions, including 777 on the datasets, I decided to start fresh and deleted both jails.

I want both plugins to work with group permissions.

My media is located on a dataset called "VeNASflytrap" with user= root (0) and group= VeNASflytrap_users (1001) permissions 770
My jails are on a dataset called "NASssd" with user= root (0) and group= VeNASflytrap_users (1001) permissions 770

I started with plex reinstall but when I go to create storage for it it says "The path '/mnt/NASssd/ssdjails' requires execute permission bit"
I can fix this by allowing other execute on the dataset /mnt/NASssd that holds the jails. But I want these to work with group permissions, I don't want to open it up to 777. I don't understrand why group permissions aren't working even after I add the user and group from freenas into the jail.

For the plex jail storage I use /mnt/VeNASflytrap/VeNASflytrap/Mdata with it mounted at /media
But I can't set this until I allow other execute.

When I make a new jail the user and group starts off as root:wheel or root:1001. If I change the /mnt/NASssd/ssdjails dataset ownership to jails(1001):VeNASflytrap_users(1001) the new plugin comes with owner 1001:1001, except /proc which is root:wheel, and even after using the pw group add and pw user add to get jails(1001):VeNASflytrap_users(1001) into the jail, I can't get group permissions to work. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

I've been looking all over for solutions and info, but it seems like all the solutions are "use 777". I don't know very much, still very noobish with freenas and freebsd, but I don't think I want to open up the dataset with all the jails and system dataset to 777. I don't really want to open my media dataset up to 777 either because its on a windows share on the network. I want it to have login credentials and be only accessible to the owner and group.

Jr922

Explorer
I fixed this by following Josh's guide. There were a couple of issues that kept it from working on the first go around. So for anyone searching this in the future they were:
- I had to create a new jails dataset after I changed the permissions and broke the plugins, changing the permissions back wasn't enough.
- Transmission specifically seems to really hate when you make any changes so I was sure to stop the plugin during any permissions changes and reboot after changes were complete, Plex also needed a reboot for the permissions on my media to take effect.
- I used solution 3 which was to add group write permissions by first adding a new group into the jail matching the one for my media dataset and then adding both the mount folder and the process user of each plugin to the same group as the media dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.