Going crazy with transmission and couchpotato permissions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I've been trying to resolve some permissions issues for a while and it's driving me mad. The main problem is that transmission and other plugins (couchpotato, Sickbeard, gamez etc) use different users that execute the processes and thus have different permissions on the files and folders they create, making it impossible to coexist and collaborate:
  • transmission is executed by user transmission, who belongs to group transmission.
  • couchpotato is executed by user media, who belongs to group media.
My jail's structure is like this:
  • /usr/Downloads: Where transmission saves torrents
  • /usr/Downloads/Movies: Where couchpotato tells transmission to save torrents (does not work). Also where the couchpotato renamer looks for movie files.
  • /usr/Media/Movies: Where the couchpotato renamer is supposed to move files (does not work).
I thought that the best way is to change transmission's user and tried to set transmission_user="media" in the /etc/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.conf file but whenever I restart transmission, this new line gets removed.

I also tried to add the additional "media" group to user transmission (so I could play with group permissions instead), but the usermod command does not exist in the jail.
Note: My main (non-jail) user has a UID of 1001 and belongs to the group wheel (like root does) but I added the media group to him as an additional group, to be able to move files around from CIFS.

Could you please help me?

D

dlavigne

Do the users that you require exist? If not, use the adduser command within the jail (follow the prompts) to create them. To add a user to a group from the command line of the jail, edit the file /etc/group using an editor.

Thank you for your answer. In /etc/groups, the two users in question appear like so:

Code:
transmission:*:40001:
media:*:40004:

How do I add additional groups in this file? I am thinking to just add the media group to transmission, as my regular user who connect to CIFS has media as an additional group and everything seems to work fine.

D

dlavigne

You just need to add the username immediately after the last colon (no space) of the entry of the group you want. You've listed 2 groupnames (transmission and media). For example, to add user1 to the transmission group:

Code:
transmission:*:40001:user1

Status
Not open for further replies.