Transmission permissions and CIFS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyMonkey

Contributor
I've done hours of reading and research and am stumped for the moment on the following issue. I've done my best to ensure everything is setup correctly, but am still having a problem...

I reinstalled Transmission after upgrading to 9.3 and am having this problem after remapping some permissions such that my windows account can see the files transmission creates...

Transmission worked fine before I upgraded/reinstalled, but I am setting more granular access/security settings this time around (nouser:nogroup and 'Everyone' don't make me feel very secure...)

Datasets/directories:
The dataset is /mnt/tank/media.
The datatset owner:group is SkyMonkey:media_access.
The dataset contains a /torrents directory with subdirectories /Incoming and /Completed.
/media/torrents is mapped to /mnt/ inside the jail.

Users/groups:
The transmission user inside the jail is 921:921, and a transmission user:group exists outside the jail with this uid:gid
The transmission user inside the jail is also in a group called 'ext_access' with gid 1007
There is a group outside the jail called torrent_access with gid 1007.
The transmission user outside the jail is in the torrent_acesss group outside the jail.

The /media/torrents directory is owned by SkyMonkey:torrents_access
SkyMonkey is in groups media_access and torrents_access among others.

Transmission Options:
Transmission is set to set completed downloads to 777, and has download/incomplete directories mapped to /mnt/Completed and /mnt/Incoming.

Windows/CIFS settings:
/media is shared out via CIFS. I log into the network via a computer with the SkyMonkey credentials.

Windows security on /media/Torrents (and subdirectories /Incoming and /Complete) shows the torrent_access and SkyMonkey group/users with full control.

Transmission downloads fine, and can move files downloaded from incoming to complete.

The issue:
SkyMonkey cannot see these files in Windows! They are visible when logged into the server via ssh as root, and have what seem to be correct permissions, but are not being created with 777 as specified by transmission:

For example, inside media/Torrrents/Completed after downloading test_torrent:
Code:
[root@freenas] ll
total 28025
drwxrwx---+ 5 SkyMonkey         torrent_access         7 Jan 14 23:43 ./
drwxrwx---+ 4 SkyMonkey         torrent_access         5 Aug  6 11:27 ../
-rwxrwx---+ 1 transmission  torrent_access  15691351 Jan 14 23:43 test_torrent

[root@freenas] /mnt/tank/media/Torrents/Completed# getfacl test_torrent
# file: test_torrent
# owner: transmission
# group: torrent_access
group:torrent_access:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:------:allow
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:------:allow

They are clearly not being created with 777 permissions shown above, though even both the unix and windows ACLs seem to indicate that at least SkyMonkey should be able to see them since he's in the torrent_access group...

During this process I noticed that the /Completed and /Incoming directories group owner was originally media_access (as I had created them a long time ago before torrent_access existed. I used chown to change the group owner since I cannot do this through windows to my knowledge. It made no change to the results.

I'd love some help/advice chasing this down....

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Can't help much with CIFS. But I added the downloaded permission settings into the transmission plugin, so I am surprised it is not working.

* Where did you set the transmission permission setting (transmission remote interface or transmission menu in the left pane of the FreeNAS WebUI)
* Can you show the setting of umask in /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

SkyMonkey

Contributor
I set the transmission permission setting through the transmission menu in the left pane of the FreeNAS WebUI. I do not see anywhere to change that setting through the transmission remote interface.

eBua2Os.png

Code:
"umask": 0,

By the way, thanks for all your great work on your many plugins Joshua!

ian351c

Patron
In theory UNIX permissions should have no effect on your ability to access the file from Windows. As long as SkyMonkey is a member of torrent_access on FreeNAS (not in the jail) you should be good to go. I have a similar setup (except I'm using a generic jail and installed transmission from pkg) and my permissions look pretty much the same as yours.

Things to check:
- Windows permissions on the parent directories
- Share permissions (maybe double check smb.conf just to make sure)

Things to try:
- Give explicit permissions to SkyMonkey in Windows and see what happens
- Give Read Only permission to Everyone (yeah it's a bit less secure, but you still have to be an authenticated user to even access the share)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't think transmission is the issue. folders should be downloaded with 777, and files 666. 'ls -l' would confirm this, that's as far as I can help though, cause I only know the Unix stuff =P

SkyMonkey

Contributor
Thanks for the input gents.

For some reason, it just randomly was working when I came home from work. Perhaps the sleep/awake cycle on my windows machine made something start working.

The only thing that isn't working is that transmission seems to be giving 770 permissions on both folder and files (see above test_torrent permissions).

But at least my SkyMonkey windows account is working (and can see files that this morning/last night were invisible...).

Status
Not open for further replies.