#10862: Update mpr driver to version 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I got nothin... sorry. :(

TXAG26

Patron
PH10 is likely version 9, or so things have been in the past.

edit: Nope. Just looked at the release notes. It's version 10. I've reached out to SuperMicro to ask for version 9 (or a reason to avoid it).

@depasseg, did you ever hear anything back from Supermicro regarding PH9? SM still has PH8 and PH10 listed on their FTP site, so it seems like PH10 will be sticking around for awhile. Any idea as to when FreeNAS might incorporate the LSI3008 PH10 drivers? I have another use for the LSI 2308 PCIe card and would like to move everything over to the onboard LSI3008 if possible.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
No issues so far.

Daurtanyn

Dabbler
I've also taken the plunge using the PH9 firmware from the Avago website referenced by depasseg. ( http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9300-8e#downloads ).

I'm also using the Supermicro card, now flashed with the PH9 firmware from the Avago site. sas3flash reports "SAS9300-8e" and firmware version "09.00.00.00".

The FreeNas version is FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950. I did the SAS3 card firmware upgrade following the Freenas upgrade from 9.2.

All is running fine for me. I'm using multipath to six 1TB Seagate ST1000NM0023 SAS drives in a 6GB LSI backplane

originalprime

Dabbler
Oh, boy!

It's been a while (and a great deal of learning) since I felt the need to wade into these forums. The last time I did, I learned very quickly that I should just shut up and let proper hardware configurations take my money.

Joking aside, I have now bumped into this issue. I recently installed a Supermicro 6048R-E1CR24L which runs an LSI / Avago / Broadcom 3008 onboard controller. Everything appears to be working nicely, but the FreeNAS Alert panel is informing me that my firmware is version 10, which does not align with the driver which is version 9.

As @depasseg and others mentioned on the first page of this thread, the conundrum comes because Avago (and subsequently Supermicro, and others) decided to *literally* skip version 9.x firmware. There is none, at least in so far as I've been able to determine.

There may, however, be a version 10.x driver for FreeBSD, assuming "PH10-11.00" is is. Looking at Supermicro's FTP, I'm confused as to the naming convention of these folders, and I'm also confused as to whether we should be considering the contents of the "FreeBSD" folder or the "UEFI" folder under the "Driver" header.

Long story short, I would very much like for my system to be properly configured. I have read where @Daurtanyn and @depasseg have installed related firmware from another controller, but I am hesitant to do the same. But now that some time has passed, perhaps I could coerce one of them (or both of them) to sound off as to the viability of that setup.

I haven't lost any data, and everything is backed up, so I am not (yet) concerned about the firmware / driver mismatch, but I do find it odd that my firmware is newer than the newest driver in use by FreeNAS.

Any more thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Still running, no issues so far, knock on wood. :smile:

Daurtanyn

Dabbler
My report is the same as "depasseg". Stable and running. And I did the update to 'FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011' without any issues.

However, my HBA is a Supermicro branded card in a PCI expansion card, not on the motherboard. It may or not make a difference, no council to pass along.

If you do make the leap, originalprime, please share the journey.

originalprime

Dabbler
Ok. Generally speaking y'all have talked me into taking the plunge when I get back to the system later this evening. The problem I've now bumped into is, which is the right file?

I followed the link @depasseg originally posted to Avago's site, but I cannot find a version 9 firmware on the list for the 9300-8i adapter page.

They do, however, have a version 10 driver. Is there any consensus as to which way would be better? My gut tells me to update the driver instead of the firmware; go ahead and bring the driver to version 10 instead of downgrading the firmware to version 9 (if the file is still available.)

I'd also like to inquire about @Daurtanyn and @depasseg I/O use case for the systems where y'all are using the 3008 controller. Mine is read-heavy, so I would like some feedback from people conducting more regular writes than I will be doing.

It looks like FreeBSD already has an updated driver (version 10) in FreeBSD 10.x so this situation will hopefully be put to bed naturally in the not-too-distant future. But I can't wait for a "stable" FreeNAS 10.x to put this machine into production ; )

Thanks for your feedback already. If I can get answers to the above, I'll tinker tonight when I can pull the machine offline for a while.

Daurtanyn

Dabbler
Following @despasseg's link...The firmware is under Downloads / firmware / Current. ( I see P9, P10 and P11 listed). I used the P9 version, which is what Freenas requested.

One 'gotcha' I've run into in the past, on a Solaris based system so I'm not sure if will be an issue. The sas2flash utility (in that instance) would not downgrade the firmware, it balked. I had to boot into a DOS CD and downgrade the firmware from DOS.

I cannot address weather you'll have similar issues with sas3flash.

In my Freenas install, I was upgrading to P9, so the issue didn't come up.

My use case is write-mostly. I backup the desktops at home using https://www.genie9.com/ (A timeline based backup agent for Windows). Works under both Windows 7 and Windows 10, in my case. I also store some files on the FreeNAS server, but its by no means challenged at any time.

TXAG26

Patron
Anyone know if FreeNAS v10 will use the LSI Ph10 driver?
A couple weeks back, late Feb. '16, Supermicro posted a new version of the LSI 3008 firmware: 3008_FW_PH10.00.03.00.zip

Fingers crossed FreeNAS v10 will finally get in sync with the LSI 3008 firmware versions!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Anyone know if FreeNAS v10 will use the LSI Ph10 driver?
A couple weeks back, late Feb. '16, Supermicro posted a new version of the LSI 3008 firmware: 3008_FW_PH10.00.03.00.zip

Fingers crossed FreeNAS v10 will finally get in sync with the LSI 3008 firmware versions!
No, the latest FreeBSD driver is still P9.

Dudde

Explorer
Any update on when PH10 will be implemented?
Im running PH9 just fine but my LSI 3008 bios bootscreen freezes for 3-4 minutes before everything boots like normal.
It didnt do this with PH10.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Im running PH9 just fine but my LSI 3008 bios bootscreen freezes for 3-4 minutes before everything boots like normal.
It didnt do this with PH10.
Get rid of the boot ROM. That is guaranteed to fix your problem.

If that is not an option, make sure you matched the boot ROM with the firmware version. You can also try the UEFI extension ROM, which may be faster.

Dudde

Explorer
Get rid of the boot ROM. That is guaranteed to fix your problem.

If that is not an option, make sure you matched the boot ROM with the firmware version. You can also try the UEFI extension ROM, which may be faster.

Im sorry im a newbie, could you elaborate on this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Im sorry im a newbie, could you elaborate on this?
When you flashed the controller's firmware, you added the BIOS extension ROM, which is optional in IT mode. Feel free to erase it or replace it with the UEFI version, which is also available.

Dudde

Explorer
I did flash it UEFI, atleast i think, i downloaded the following file:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/Previous%20Releases/AVG3008P093T1.1.zip

Inside there is a "UEFI" folder which i copied to an USB and booted the machine into UEFI Shell,
I run the following commands
Code:
fs0:
cd UEFI
SMC2308T.NSH

After it said everything went successfully and the controller shows it's using the right firmware.

TXAG26

Patron
:DBINGO!!! I just ran across this today - Supermicro posted new firmware on June 18, 2016 for the Avago/LSI 3008 SAS chip found on the X10SRH-CLN4F.
This version FINALLY pairs up with the driver version contained in the current version of FreeNAS 9.10.xxxx. P12 firmware is currently correct for the V13 driver in FreeNAS 9.10.

3008_FW_PH12.00.02.00.zip

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.