10 Gig Networking Primer

10 Gig Networking Primer

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Of course it "may work," but modifying the FreeNAS firmware is an exceedingly bad idea, it'll cause you no end of trouble. We don't condone it, and the OFED stuff has been problematic basically since day 1, which is a large part of why no one is likely to do anything with this.

https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/2014

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can run it without brackets, but it really isn't recommended. The brackets are an integral part of the mechanical retention system that prevents the card from coming loose from its slot and maybe damaging things.

So if you must go that sort of route, what I'd suggest instead is that you take the existing half height bracket, unscrew it from the card, straighten the screwtab so it is flat in line with the rest of the bracket. Now the bracket will "fit" in a full height slot. But don't stop there. Insert the bracket into the chassis, and on the screwtab, take a Sharpie and mark a place to drill a hole. You want to drill a hole in this thing, and then go get a nut and a screw to clamp it to the rib between the PCIe slots. This leaves you with a ghetto solution that still securely clamps the card in place almost as well as the original mechanism.

Bear in mind that I would *much* rather see you acquire the right bracket, but if you have to go with an alternative solution, running without brackets is a poor choice in an expensive NAS. Find a way to lock it in there.

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
Cutting a spare full bracket and screwing it to the half-height one (with an overlapping offset, and with two screws) sounds well worth $25.

TXAG26

Patron
My vote is to buy the correct bracket. A loose PCI card inside a box with other live electrical components makes for a nice "destruction derby" if some unforeseen accident happens around the server. The smoke is pretty though!

I have tripped over Ethernet cable, had stuff I'm carrying out of an area grab a peice of cable and take it for a ride, as well as had equipment fall from various elevated positions, grabbing and dragging whatever was in reach along for the ride. ;-)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That sounds less mechanically sound.

Cutting a spare full bracket and screwing it to the half-height one (with an overlapping offset, and with two screws) sounds well worth $25.

Oh, wait, you mean flatten the halfy like I suggested, and then use a cut-down slot blank to extend it upwards, effectively making a full height bracket?

That sounds fine too.

A loose PCI card inside a box with other live electrical components makes for a nice "destruction derby" if some unforeseen accident happens around the server. The smoke is pretty though!

I have tripped over Ethernet cable, had stuff I'm carrying out of an area grab a peice of cable and take it for a ride, as well as had equipment fall from various elevated positions, grabbing and dragging whatever was in reach along for the ride. ;-)

This. Exactly this.

In my experience, fate likes to bite at the low hanging fruit. You have a properly built system with everything secured? You have a RAIDZ3 with a warm spare disk? Fate doesn't bother knocking at your door. You'll feel like the fool for having put extra effort into "making things right" or spending the extra money on the RAIDZ3.

But the moment you do something dodgy like run an unsecured add-in card, or build that RAIDZ1, you know you're a target. Fate will wait for the most opportune moment and then ... BAM!

guc32

Dabbler
Both great suggestion. Ill try to source one out from Chelsio and if they cant get me one, will do the flatten out the half and one of those suggestions.

rogerh

Guru
Both great suggestion. Ill try to source one out from Chelsio and if they cant get me one, will do the flatten out the half and one of those suggestions.
It's really obvious and I apologise for saying it, but someone might think differently; you must remove the half-height bracket from the card before you start modifying it! Accidents will happen, otherwise.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's really obvious and I apologise for saying it, but someone might think differently; you must remove the half-height bracket from the card before you start modifying it! Accidents will happen, otherwise.
Mechanical collateral damage aside, what worries me the most with any sort of metalwork on computer components are loose bits of metal working their way onto other parts, which they can then short-circuit. Not a pleasant thought.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Mechanical collateral damage aside, what worries me the most with any sort of metalwork on computer components are loose bits of metal working their way onto other parts, which they can then short-circuit. Not a pleasant thought.

Seconded. Absolutely positively meant it when I said "unscrew it from the card"; I probably should have emphasized that.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Files, sandpaper and a good washing of your hands and the piece(s) before you put it back near any electronics ;)

Mlovelace

Guru
Just buy a bracket... way cheaper then replacing fried components after you try and mod something; probably the only useful information to come from Linus Tech Tips. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Just buy a bracket... way cheaper then replacing fried components after you try and mod something; probably the only useful information to come from Linus Tech Tips. ;)

Oh, snap!

giphy.gif

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Jim was just told the brackets are no longer available and he was gonna have to mod his own...