zvol iSCSI target on mirrored pool detected by initiator as 2 disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilez

Guru
Not sure what's going on. I have a mirrored pool, and created a 3TB zvol on it as an iSCSI target. But when I connected to it from Windows 8.1 (as a test), it was exposed in Windows iSCSI Initiator control panel and in disk management console, as 2 separate 3TB disks - presumably somehow FreeNAS is exposing the individual underlying disks of the zvol, and not the zvol I created (and expected to see) which is a single 3TB target on a mirrored volume.

Before I go further and try to store data on it, can someone clarify the situation for me, so I don't cause any problems for myself down the line?

As I don't know which settings might be useful, I'll post other details or settings as asked.

Updates: system version 9.10.2-U2. Unlike Windows diskmgmt.msc, ESXi 6.0 seems to detect it as a single storage device.

Last edited:

Stilez

Guru

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
If you shared ZVOL, then iSCSI in no way can should separate disks -- there is impossible to map ZVOL into space it takes on ZPOOL. My bet is that you either misconfigured FreeNAS to share the ZVOL twice, or you have two NICs on some side and got valid multipath configuration, just forgot to enable multipath on initiator side.

Stilez

Guru
My bet is that you either misconfigured FreeNAS to share the ZVOL twice, or you have two NICs on some side and got valid multipath configuration, just forgot to enable multipath on initiator side.
My bet too. There *are* two paths (1Gb and 10GbE on two different NICs), I just didn't think of it in this context, as I told it to only mount the target via one of those IPs. Mystery solved - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.