Zpool terminal creation not populating in GUI

K_switch

Dabbler
Hello all,

I am very new to FreeNAS and ZFS as a whole but i am very interested in the product and the technology. So in a test environment of mine i went through and attempted to create a zpool from the terminal itself using
Code:
zpool create -f mypool mirror da0p2 da1p2
after some messing around with prior mounts i was able to get the zpool created. i thought i was soon on my way to be fully functional... and i'm sure i am close but i am not able to see the zpool in the FreeNAS GUI. when i go through and create a zpool using the gui i see there are other mount points that look like that is my problem.

Code:
root@freenas[/]# mount
freenas-boot/ROOT/default on / (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
tmpfs on /etc (tmpfs, local)
tmpfs on /mnt (tmpfs, local)
tmpfs on /var (tmpfs, local)
fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
Jedi on /mnt/Jedi (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith on /mnt/sith (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith/.system on /var/db/system (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith/.system/cores on /var/db/system/cores (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith/.system/samba4 on /var/db/system/samba4 (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith/.system/syslog-1e9984bcf13340bcb68bc263ecb0a902 on /var/db/system/syslog-1e9984bcf13340bcb68bc263ecb0a902 (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith/.system/rrd-1e9984bcf13340bcb68bc263ecb0a902 on /var/db/system/rrd-1e9984bcf13340bcb68bc263ecb0a902 (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith/.system/configs-1e9984bcf13340bcb68bc263ecb0a902 on /var/db/system/configs-1e9984bcf13340bcb68bc263ecb0a902 (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
sith/.system/webui on /var/db/system/webui (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)

i am not sure what i need to add on my Jedi zpool that i created in the terminal from that i can see from the sith zpool that i created using the gui...

any help or just general knowledge is VERY APPRECIATED!!!

You should create all of your pools in the GUI. The GUI uses the database found in `/data/freenas-v1.db` and when you create pools via the CLI they don't get any relevant rows in the database and as such the GUI will not behave as expected with those pools.

If the pool doesn't have data on it or if you can back it up you should have luck if you destroy the pool and recreate it in the GUI.

K_switch

Dabbler
You should create all of your pools in the GUI. The GUI uses the database found in `/data/freenas-v1.db` and when you create pools via the CLI they don't get any relevant rows in the database and as such the GUI will not behave as expected with those pools.

If the pool doesn't have data on it or if you can back it up you should have luck if you destroy the pool and recreate it in the GUI.

Yes so this pool is purely for testing purposes... I was kinda wondering if that was going to be the case. I really appreciate the Information Philo.

Yes so this pool is purely for testing purposes... I was kinda wondering if that was going to be the case. I really appreciate the Information Philo.
Glad this is helpful. FWIW, my approach to deciding when use of the CLI is appropriate is when I am debugging an issue not solvable via the GUI, when I am experimenting and don't plan on using the pool in the GUI, or I am poking around to understand how CLI changes affect the GUI. Only in the cases of something being wrong do I use the CLI on pools containing production data.

K_switch

Dabbler
Glad this is helpful. FWIW, my approach to deciding when use of the CLI is appropriate is when I am debugging an issue not solvable via the GUI, when I am experimenting and don't plan on using the pool in the GUI, or I am poking around to understand how CLI changes affect the GUI. Only in the cases of something being wrong do I use the CLI on pools containing production data.

Gotcha, I am very new to FreeNAS/ FreeBSD but i have slightly more experience with Linux so i was hoping i would be able to get to a more familiar environment. With that said the latest FreeNAS GUI is outstandingly intuitive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There are some things that work fine from the command line, and a few things that can only be done from the command line, but most things are intended to be done from the GUI. You can create a pool in the command line, export it, then use the GUI to import it. It is not the way it should be done because the scripts that handle pool creation from the GUI also create a second partition on each data drive to use for system swap. It can leave your system with no swap space if you don’t do all the steps in just the way FreeNAS is expecting them to be done.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Here is a step by step guide that was put together a while back and updated over the years. There is a bunch of great info in here…