Zotac H67ITX-C-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangavalk

Cadet
I'm having a hard time installing FreeNas on my latest server, the configuration is below.
After booting right from the installation medium i get a kernel panic even before i get past the boot up part.
I tried installing it on an usb from my main computer, then booting the server from this usb and i get the same kernel panic.
On my other server i never had any problems.

mobo: Zotac H67ITX-C-E
cpu: intel I3 3100T
ram: G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL
Sata controller: Areca ARC-1260 (V2)

INCSlayer

Contributor
well we can start with the fact that your setup is not optimal for freenas to start with Zotac is not generally a manufacturer we recommend here
and its a consumer board. You do not have ECC ram again not recommended.

and im also not sure about your sata controller Areca's website does list driver support for freenas so it should work but i dont know how well.

unless this machine is strictly for experimentation you should go back to the drawing board and start by reading this post:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

mangavalk

Cadet
INCSlayer thank you for your replay.
This machine is meant for at home experimentation only.
So its okay if it has some problems as long as it can run freenas.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That Areca card sounds like a very likely culprit. But it could also be some random controller on the motherboard.

INCSlayer

Contributor
That Areca card sounds like a very likely culprit. But it could also be some random controller on the motherboard.

im leaning towards the motherboard areca atleast claims to have freebsd support on their website:
http://www.areca.com.tw/support/s_freebsd/freebsd.htm

they explicitly state support for freenas 9.2.1 and since they show support for freebsd up 9.3 (and up to 10.2) that shouldnt cause an issue? atleast bootwise i wouldnt trust my files to it but i would expect the machine to boot

mangavalk

Cadet
I tried removing the Areca controller, but indeed its the mobo.
So seeing that review is almost 2 years ago i expect this mobo wont be supported.

Best advice, get a new mobo right?

tvsjr

Guru
Yep... and this time, do your research here and buy hardware that is recommended for FreeNAS and has been tested by many of the forum members. Supermicro is where you should start.

gpsguy

Yes, get a new mobo. Look at the hardware stickies for ones known to work well with FreeNAS.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.