My first NAS - help picking out hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

golemcito

Explorer
Thanks for the help guys. I took the plunge and ordered the asus board + i3-2100, but I will consider returning it if the realtek NIC doesn't work with FreeNAS:(

Hi

I´m thinking in the same mobo & cpu, let us know what specs get under cifs.

At this moment it seems the E-350 solution is unable to saturate a Gigabit Network, and i think the E-450 will be the same.

Bjur

Cadet
Wow fast replies. Thx:)
I have these headadches (sorry my bad English):

1. I am really afraid the ASUS motherboard with have a lot higher power consumption than the Intel. I have read all the reviews I could find, and some states the overall system idles with only approx 20-21 W which is fine, but if it get over 30W where the Intel only idle at <20 W then it is an issue for me, and I will consider exchange it.
2. Is there any reason why there is statements where the Intel NIC is better than the Realtek? I can't find out if it is a bad choice for me then, if it will be unstable..
3. Will there be any noticable performance between the i3-2100 and the i3-2120? The 2120 cost approx 35$ more than the 2100.

B

Bohs Hansen

The realtec E comes very close to the intel's perfomance wise, but not as well supported yet OS based. The Intel has the better drivers and use less cpu usage ending up with a better overall perfomance. (so sum it up in very short).

[edit]
The best is a intel on a dedicated NCU card/chip, but they are rare and expensive for what extra it gives

joeschmuck

Old Man
The difference in the CPU choices is 200MHz. The i3-2120 is ever so slightly faster. If you're asking will it make a difference, nope, not a bit. My advice, go for the cheaper one.

rxed

Cadet
I'm curious if there is an issue with using the "P" model 1155 mobo because this requires a dGPU. Even if you run the NAS headless, I'm assuming the setup would require video.

Am I wrong?

My experience:

I am pretty new to FreeNAS and bought my NAS 4 months ago.

I chose the Fractal Design Array 2 enclosure. Its "pretty" and simple and small :) and its build to exactly what I need.
6x2TB WD+Seagate mix hard drives. (The PSU has no problem powering the 6x2TB+SSD+Adaptec raid controller).
MB is Intels H67 BH67CF with a i3-2100T CPU.

MB seemed like the best choice with low power consumption and the layout was something I looked at too.(because og the small case).

Now:
I have just bought a Antec P280 case. The Array 2 is nice and I love the design and quality.
With 2 drive failures I realized that the Array 2 is just too small. I would like more cooling for my drives and room for a spare.
The Array 2 is lovely for its purpose and if you never have to access its perfect once you gets it assembled and up running.

4 memory slots, dual LAN(Intel chip) and 6 onboard Sata was something I wanted. I found this on Supermicro C7Q67-O which is mATX form factor.
The 2x4GB DDR3 is enough, my swap has never been used. (Got the 6x2TB in Raidz2 ZFS) but I have the extra memory in spare and I like the idea that I can expand.
I went with the i3-2100T model because of the lower power consumption. (The CPU just sits there. Maybe I am going to look at the AirVideoServer(live streaming/transcoding) and that should give it something to work on. For now Transmission+Sickbeard+Stream to ATV2 is no trouble).

Let me know it you want more details on any of the parts etc.
Good luck and you are going to love FreeNAS (with 8.2 around the bend, its all you need) :D

barhom

Cadet
Ill borrow this topic for my own questions,

I've just decided to create my FreeNAS computer and been reading for the last two hours about ZFS.
As I see that this is something I want to invest in for my "digital home", cost is not directly an issue, but I always like to keep things most cost-effective and do not want things I will not use.

I'm looking to try to get around 8TB of storage, but want to be able to step this up to 12tb when need be.
For 8tb of storage with 2 parity discs, using 2tb hard drives we're looking at 6 disks (4*2+2) if Ive read things correctly.
I will want to have a case big enough to eventually hold up to 10 drives, and I have no problem going 19" instead of normal full-tower setup.

Regarding PSU, Chassi etc, I think I can find what suits me best myself, but the main question is really CPU and Memory, what do I really need?
This computer will _ONLY_ serve as a fileserver, I have other servers that does the rest of my linux need of compiling, web server, etc. This server will only serve files such as music, video, pictures, nothing else.

I would like to have faster write-speeds than what 1 drive is capable of by itself, latency is less of an issue, I would like, at least a small portion of the array to be able to write at around 120mb/s (since I have 1gbps internet at home). I will also like for the whole array to be encrypted, such as the way that when I boot the computer from being shut down I have to enter a password to mount the drive (for law purposes if something would have happened ;))

So this comes down to the choice of CPU + Memory. Go for a low-powered ATOM with 8gb ram to drive the whole shebang, or do you see it better to go for a low powered new XEON E3 (such as the E3-1220 with motherboards that can handle 12+gb of ECC ram.

I understand that ZFS is good with more ram, but will it be much difference for my home usage with 8gb ram (when using 8tb disk) and more ram when using > 8gb (I heard you should have around 1gb of ram/tb). maybe the low-powered atom/amd will drop off from choice because one of my requirements is encryption.

What's freenas' forums 5 cents on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.