ZFS disk image backup of single disk system

diskdiddler

Wizard
This is probably something I should know after this long using truenas.
(I really should by now!)

I am considering building a new Linux system with Ubuntu server 2204 in a few weeks with a single zfs drive.

I'm curious if I can do a snapshot backup of this single disk once a day over Gbit LAN at 2am to my truenas system.
(I might want 1 current and one 2 days old? Maybe, at least one though)

Using zstd compression I expect it to easily fit on my array.

Would this be possible or difficult?

Secondly, what about restoring, how hard would that be? I assume I could boot from a USB stick, type several complicated commands and pull the image back on over LAN?

Thanks all.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
zfs send | zfs recv is the command pair you will want to use...

If you look into the switches, you can easily set up incremental replication based on new snapshots and the changes only, so Gigabit should be workable.

You would use the same command pair in reverse direction (source/target) to get it back if needed.

diskdiddler

Wizard
zfs send | zfs recv is the command pair you will want to use...

If you look into the switches, you can easily set up incremental replication based on new snapshots and the changes only, so Gigabit should be workable.

You would use the same command pair in reverse direction (source/target) to get it back if needed.

So I take it, it would be wise to make a zvol to store it inside on the TrueNAS system first right? and I could configure compression at that stage too?

Seems pretty straight forward. Trying to decide if this spare little machine I build is proxmox with Ubuntu VM (and quicksync passthrough) or Ubuntu Server direct.

sretalla