Detached disk from mirror (instead of selecting replace) and need to add new disk to mirror.

nitro3

Cadet
Hi All,
Had a search through the forums but couldn't find anything recent that addresses the issue.

TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

I had a simple mirrored data vdev with two drives.
One started throwing SMART errors, so I purchase a new disk.
The 'replace' option only showed existing disks, but I needed to physically swap them so I wrongly assumed the best option would be to 'detach' the failed disk - leaving a single disk in the vdev.
I then physically swapped the drives but cannot find an option to rebuild the mirror.
There is an "add vdev" option, but doesn't show the existing disk and if I try to add the new disk it says "stripe".

Any way to resolve this without blowing away the whole vdev, building a new vdev and restoring from backup?

Thanks in advance!

artlessknave

Wizard
for the record: Forum Rules.

yes, indeedy, there is. attach your disk to the existing disk.
  1. go into the UI where you can see "Stripe",
  2. click the elipses on the right
  3. extend
  4. select your new disk
  5. uhhhm. profit?
can be done from the CLI as well but better to use the webUI (eg. zpool attach gptid1 gptid2)
the way you did it is actually fine for mirrors, because you can attach and detach mirror disks freely. a raidz would not allow this at all.
all you really needed to do was yank the bad disk, put in the new disk, and "Replace" (if you have autoreplace enabled it would do it automatically as soon as it sees a replacement disk in the same port)

nitro3

Cadet
Thanks Artlessknave! Took a little bit to find the 'extend' option (hidden under the vdev status menu), but that was exactly the info I needed.

BTW I'm not sure if you are saying I didn't follow one of the Forum Rules? I was searching for about an hour without much luck.

Thanks again!

artlessknave

Wizard
the forum rules are pretty clear. posts should have your hardware info, though it wasnt strictly needed in this case.

oncdoc

Dabbler
for the record: Forum Rules.

yes, indeedy, there is. attach your disk to the existing disk.
  1. go into the UI where you can see "Stripe",
  2. click the elipses on the right
  3. extend
  4. select your new disk
  5. uhhhm. profit?
can be done from the CLI as well but better to use the webUI (eg. zpool attach gptid1 gptid2)
the way you did it is actually fine for mirrors, because you can attach and detach mirror disks freely. a raidz would not allow this at all.
all you really needed to do was yank the bad disk, put in the new disk, and "Replace" (if you have autoreplace enabled it would do it automatically as soon as it sees a replacement disk in the same port)
I actually was in the same predicament. I physically replaced the drives twice with the goal increasing my mirror hard drive size. There was silvering that occurred twice. However, have noted that my SMB shares are gone and I cannot access any of the data. Somewhere the data is there since it is occupying space in the pool. I don't know what to do.

artlessknave

Wizard
I actually was in the same predicament. I physically replaced the drives twice with the goal increasing my mirror hard drive size. There was silvering that occurred twice. However, have noted that my SMB shares are gone and I cannot access any of the data. Somewhere the data is there since it is occupying space in the pool. I don't know what to do.
this does not appear to be the same. probably better to make a new post. you also need to post far more information than this. the minimum is hardware and pool layout (zpool status -v, or a screenshot of the webUI page).
if this is already elsewhere please link it. I didn't see a post that looked applicable in your post history.

Last edited: