ZFS Access / Encrypted Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sql_dan

Cadet
Hi all,

Came home from work to find my FN Corral install wasn't working. After a little investigation I found that my ZFS pool was DEGRADED. I might add I was running boot USBs in Mirror and the system was providing the following errors:

upload_2017-9-28_20-42-56.png

Despite the mirror regardless of which USB was in the system would not boot - thanks Corral! :(

I built Corral from scratch so didn't have many issues with it and found it ok! I had planned to migrate once FN 11.1 was released to enable the Docker migration, but this forced my hand.

I have 2 ZFS pools:

- WD_Green
- WD_Black

I grabbed a spare USB drive and installed clean FN 11. This immediatly found and picked up the WD_Green zfs pool and imported it. Great.

The WD_Black however - was encrypted and therefore didn't come up on the selection page.

So - I fired up a VirtualBox FreeBSD and with USB passthrough attempted to view the ZFS pool status and import the pool to the VM to grab the encryption key, but I get the same errors as above with the pool being unable to be imported.

Is the data lost?
Can I recover the disks and import the data?

In addition to this - the dockers I had were on the WD_Green drive so I have access to the .img what would be the best way to extract the data to use in jails I will now need to recreate?

Thanks

m0nkey_

MVP
The only way to recover your data is to use the recovery key that you created when you originally created the pool.

sql_dan

Cadet
Thanks m0nkey_, for full clarification this is stored on the freenas_boot USB and not on the disks?
So if I didn't back this up or have a copy of the key - i'm up the creek?

m0nkey_

MVP
Thanks m0nkey_, for full clarification this is stored on the freenas_boot USB and not on the disks?
So if I didn't back this up or have a copy of the key - i'm up the creek?
Yes, this is stored on the boot drive. If you don't have a copy of the recovery/geli keys then you have lost access to your data.

sql_dan

Cadet
OK plot thickens on this - so after reading the error message properly one of my mirrored drives has failed:

upload_2017-9-29_18-20-1.png

What would be the best way to resolve this and import the zpool to pull off the decryption key?

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.