BUILD Yet another Build check

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjurewicz21

Dabbler
If you are going with the supermicro board I would suggest reading
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10-motherboard-faq.23332/

Otherwise the recommended ram can be found on the website of the motherboard.

What are your total requirements for the serve? What do you want it to do? What is the total budget?

I am assuming you will be using plex which means you will be using it for playing videos, but how many clients will it be serving at one time? BTW transcoding is different then streaming. Streaming means that the client can understand the original file, and that the file does not need to be converted in order to be played on the device. Transcoding on the otherhand is when the server will need to convert the video during playback in order to allow the device to understand and play the video file. Transcoding will take more cpu power then streaming. (according to plex transcoding a 1080p video will require a passmark of 2000) If this is your intention it will generally determine what cpu you will need.

As far as HDDs they would be the place where you can save the most money, generally about once a month newegg will run a sale on either seagate or WD drives. I saved $150 by just waiting for the sale and buying drives then. Based on all of your comments I would recommend just sticking with the WD reds or Seagate NAS drives. I have found that the 3TB drives have generally been the best $/TB

I am newer to FreeNAS but have done lots of research on components and if you help me understand what you want out of the system I might be able to save you some time.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Thank you all so very much! It will stream to maybe two pc's at once mostly one. I am leaning towards the Seagate NAS drives and I'm going to go with 6 - 3tb drives.

You guys were talking about a ups. Do any of you have a preference? Something that interfaces well with freenas. I looked through the forum and there is soo much info on all this - thought I would pole you guys and ask what you perfer?

I called asrock about the motherboard and they said it would work so I'm going to go with that I think and I might as well get an i3. I'll post when I get to my pc what I think the build looks like now after talking with you great folks! As always suggestions on anything are welcomed!

bjurewicz21

Dabbler
If it is truly streaming then the Pentium will be fine.
If it were me though I would plan for the future and just get the i3 with the initial build and not have to worry as much about the future.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Hey folks.
Here is what I ended up with:

1 x ($149.99) ASRock Q87WS-DL ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 In
$149.99

1 x ($119.99) Intel Core i3-4160 Haswell Dual-Core 3.6GHz LGA 11
$119.99

2 x ($59.99) Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR
$119.98

1 x ($4.99) Coboc EA-U3Y-8-BK 8" USB3.0 20-pin Motherboard hea
$4.99

1 x ($3.99) StarTech USBMBADAPT 6in USB 2.0 Cable - USB A Fema
$3.99

Subtotal: $398.94
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $6.72
Total Amount: $405.66

Oh I also have a Intel dual nic as well for link aggregation.
I have 7 3tb Seagate drive brand new I bought during a daily deal, 6 that I'm going to use 1 for hotswap failure. They aren't the nas ones just 6gbs 7200 rpm but ought to do the job.
So excited to get started! You all have been so helpful.

Should I really can the cosair and go with another psu?

diedrichg

Wizard
Recommend hardware is a sticky on the hardware forum. Compatible RAM is always found on the manufacturer's website for that board. Supermicro recommendations as well as RAM are also stickies.

UPS list can be found as a link in the docs (doc.freenas.org (services section)). People prefer a Cyberpower or APC. Just make sure you get one with a pure sine wave!

Yes, the ASRock will work sans two ports of you can live with that. Given the reliability of a SSD or SATADOM for the boot device, it would be necessary to have enough SATA ports for your drives plus the boot device. This isn't an issue if you will be using a USB thumb drive.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Recommend hardware is a sticky on the hardware forum. Compatible RAM is always found on the manufacturer's website for that board. Supermicro recommendations as well as RAM are also stickies.

UPS list can be found as a link in the docs (doc.freenas.org (services section)). People prefer a Cyberpower or APC. Just make sure you get one with a pure sine wave!

Yes, the ASRock will work sans two ports of you can live with that. Given the reliability of a SSD or SATADOM for the boot device, it would be necessary to have enough SATA ports for your drives plus the boot device. This isn't an issue if you will be using a USB thumb drive.

I am sorry, I am asking the obvious questions - I will go read lol. I do have a nice Cyberpower Sine wave. I am very curious as to to how they interface with them though. I am so excited. I didn't really want to spend the cash - the wife is not gonna be happy, but at the same time - she will LOVE having all the media in one place and much safer than just "on my computer."

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Oh, as you can see from my order specs, I ordered an internal header to usb port converter. What USB sticks do you guys recommend that I run freenas on? Any favorites?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Heads-up: ECC is only supported on Cxxx chipsets, not Qxx, Zxx, Hxx or Pxx. That means C222, C224, C226.

This might not be strictly true from an engineering standpoint (the chipset does not deal with the memory controller), but any workarounds are hacks by board manufacturers.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Heads-up: ECC is only supported on Cxxx chipsets, not Qxx, Zxx, Hxx or Pxx. That means C222, C224, C226.

This might not be strictly true from an engineering standpoint (the chipset does not deal with the memory controller), but any workarounds are hacks by board manufacturers.

Do I need to send AsRock back and get something else? In the specs on Newegg it says ECC is supported. I bought this ram:
Great

diedrichg

Wizard

I had eluded to that in post #7 but I could not find any supporting documentation.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do I need to send AsRock back and get something else? In the specs on Newegg it says ECC is supported. I bought this ram:
Great

As I said, official ECC support only exists with the C222/224/226 PCHs. However, this is a purely artificial limitation as they do not communicate with RAM.

Worst case, their silicon that is meant to configure the CPU IMC is different and the ECC part is not activated.

Best case, Intel has been bluffing and PCH support is irrelevant.

I suspect it's somewhere in the middle ground: something like hardware being essentially identical, but a different firmware package that does not initialize the ECC part of the IMC.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
As I said, official ECC support only exists with the C222/224/226 PCHs. However, this is a purely artificial limitation as they do not communicate with RAM.

Worst case, their silicon that is meant to configure the CPU IMC is different and the ECC part is not activated.

Best case, Intel has been bluffing and PCH support is irrelevant.

I suspect it's somewhere in the middle ground: something like hardware being essentially identical, but a different firmware package that does not initialize the ECC part of the IMC.

From what the guy at Asrock said it sounds like it just does not use the ECC part like you are talking about. No matter - newegg is going to RMA it and I already ordered the new board which does support ECC. This is the WHOLE reason I am building this machine is for ECC support. I have some nice parts laying around but not ECC worthy...so I have to do this. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Newegg was awesome about the return, no restocking fees due to the fact that the board does not "really," support ECC and it states it does on the Newegg site. My fault for not double checking but once I explained it to them they just did an RMA no restock fee. I am recovering from a triple hernia repair, but as soon as I can I will get started on this build and update you guys. Someone asked about the power supply I will be using and said if it was a certain model from corsair it was pretty solid. As soon as I can lift the machine that currently is holding this power supply I will post the specs on it. I think it is a TX750 but I could be wrong - won't know until I lay eyes on it. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING FOLKS!

dont try and do too much, just relax and take it easy...we're computer people...we're never far from our rigs :P

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Hey Guys,
Okay - I am getting ready to throw this thing together. Its been a while, sorry, had surgery. I have a few power supplies to choose from.

1. Older but SOLID - Corsair TX750 CMPSU-750TX
2. An EVGA 430 - I will get the model number Pn:100-w1-0430-rx
3. or a corsair CX430m

I am really thinking that the corsaid tx750 is my best bet - but it was pulled from a previous build - still works great...but you know - its not new :smile:

thoughts?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
TX750. Low-end EVGA and corsair can be rather crummy. Not dangerous, but crummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.