Messed up big time - :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Okay, I thought I had my bases covered with the
According to what I am being told and talking to ASRock...it supports - sees ecc ram, but not the function of it. I am buying a
SOO....I am going to have to send the AsRock Q87 back because I am dummy.

I have looked over what the reconmended and I am even more confused.

I need something with 6 SATA ports - would like 6gbps and that will support my memory and cpu? Was looking at this:
Oh, I also like the 4 memory slots as well? Which one guys?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157409&cm_re=c226ws-_-13-157-409-_-Product

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435457

THANK YOU!!!

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Nevermind. I am going to go with the :
ASRock C226 WS ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600/1333

Kingston shows support for it and it seems several people are running it without issue.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
By the way - The people at Asrock were super to talk to and were able to answer all my questions. The board I was looking and bought like a dummy was ASRock Q87WS-DL ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel Q87 DDR3 1600/1333 - and worked with ECC but did not support the features of it - they researched it and confirmed it. The one I ended up going with, ASRock C226 WS ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600/1333, checks out via ecc and will work with my ram.

Arwen

MVP
In general, when building a server, use a system board without audio, PS2
ports, firewire, excess video ports, (more than 1 is not needed for a server).

In fact, many in-expensive server boards are now coming with BMC / ILOM.
Being a professional Unix SysAdmin, (since last century :), I really like that
feature for home. Saves a lot of trouble. Basically, ILOMs let you get to the
console of the server through a network connection. Including powering on
and off, as well as checking some things like tempeture.

diedrichg

Wizard
I need something with 6 SATA ports - would like 6gbps and that will support my memory and cpu?
You don't "need" SATA3. Spinning drives can't even come close to saturating 600MB/s and will only be about 43% the bandwidth of SATA2 so it's not something to worry about until you build a system with NVMe storage - even then you won't be dealing with SATA connections and will be worried about how many PCIe lanes your mobo and CPU can handle or how many U.2 ports you have.

I don't recall you mentioning your boot media (what FreeNAS will live on). What have you ordered?
Here is the popular suggestion for USB drives:
I don't recommend that flash drive. I recommend a *PAIR* of flash drives, which will be automatically mirrored by FreeNAS. For our money, most of us are finding that Sandisk are the most reliable, and the Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 is a particularly good match, and is flush with the USB port, and has performed well for almost every one of our users.

Last edited:

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
In general, when building a server, use a system board without audio, PS2
ports, firewire, excess video ports, (more than 1 is not needed for a server).

In fact, many in-expensive server boards are now coming with BMC / ILOM.
Being a professional Unix SysAdmin, (since last century :), I really like that
feature for home. Saves a lot of trouble. Basically, ILOMs let you get to the
console of the server through a network connection. Including powering on
and off, as well as checking some things like tempeture.

Very cool - thanks for sharing. I am new to server hardware other than installing CPUs and ram in them - and of course working on them - but its a Microsoft shop where I work.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
You don't "need" SATA3. Spinning drives can't even come close to saturating 600MB/s and will only be about 43% the bandwidth of SATA2 so it's not something to worry about until you build a system with NVMe storage - even then you won't be dealing with SATA connections and will be worried about how many PCIe lanes your mobo and CPU can handle or how many U.2 ports you have.

I don't recall you mentioning your boot media (what FreeNAS will live on). What have you ordered?
Here is the popular suggestion for USB drives:

here is where it gets interesting. I ordered a couple of options:

diedrichg

Wizard
USB 3.0 support in FreeNAS is buggy. You will want to run two 2.0s for the mirror. I don't see a reason why a header adapter wouldn't work but I would go for a 2.0 adapter.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Cool! So use Coboc EA-U3Y-8-BK 8" USB3.0 20-pin Motherboard header to 2 ports Type A Female Adatepr Converter Y cable and two USB 2.0 drives. Can the drives be mismatched as long as they are both 2.0?

Or do I need to get a 2.0 splitter?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can the drives be mismatched as long as they are both 2.0?
Mismatch to your heart's desire, but don't expect the slow device to be miraculously sped up. :D

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Just a quick update folks! I have not built the NAS yet but I have all the parts now including two sandisk 16gb that I will mirror from the header. I will keep all posted. Also, newegg was awesome about my return of the motherboard the supported ECC but did not "use," it. I had three hernias repaired so I am resting now but will have an update perhaps next week if I am feeling up to working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.