BUILD As to not make the same mistake twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWiz

Dabbler
Sorry for another noob build/am i doing this right but i screwed it up once and i'm going to take another stab at it.

Intended use: Media hub (movie/music) & personal cloud

Original Build: (please don't yell at me -_-, I now know i'm an idiot)
Case: Cooler master elite 120
PSU: Corsair CX 430M 430W
Mobo: ASRock H87M-ITX LGA 1150
CPU: Intel i3-4130T Haswell 35W
RAM: 4GB 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
HDD: 2x 3TB WD Red (RAID 1)

I want to keep the case, psu, and HDD.

New Build Parts:
Mobo: Supermicro MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX
RAM: 8GB 2x4GB Kingston ECC DDR3 1600

The motherboard says it's compatible with an i3 Haswell, can I keep my CPU?

See any issues with this build?

indy

Patron
I would buy one 8GB stick, Freenas does not benefit very much from dual channel anyway afaik and you have more upgrade options.
Just a minor issue though.

Depending on how important your data is and your backup strategy you might want to look into a hdd configuration with double parity.

Your cpu should work just fine.

CWiz

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply.
I've considered other raid configurations but I don't want to spend more on Hdd's and I only have 6 sata ports. I wanna save them for 2 more raid 1 arrays.

I guess a PCI sata controller could be used for future upgrades but I'm not sure the raid 10 increase in read/write would knock my socks off for hundreds of dollars

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Avoid Kingston like the plague, especially with Supermicro X10 motherboards.

Get something from the compatibility list. For instance, the 1.35V memory recommended by Crucial for Supermicro X10 boards is the exact same as the Micron memory tested by Supermicro (Crucial is a brand owned by Micron, so it's not a case of "this random batch comes from supplier X, that one from supplier Y").
As indy recommended, a single 8GB DIMM is a better option, for future expansion.

The CPU is fine - but you wasted your money. Unless you're TDP-restricted, the low-power versions are absolutely useless. They use the same power at low loads, but can't actually perform better when needed, like the non-T models.

Also, it's a good idea to avoid RAIDZ1/RAID5 - RAIDZ2/RAID6 is much, much safer.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@Ericloewe OP isn't actually looking at RAIDZ1, s/he's looking at mirroring, and incorrectly (albeit reasonably, since that description is used everywhere else) describing it as RAID 1.

CWiz

Dabbler
Thanks for the ram suggestion.

As far as the processor goes, I'd be surprised if it needed MOAR POWAAAH to do its job. If it is bottlenecking I can swap it out. I've had interest in it on clist when I was trying to sell the old build.

Sooo danb35...what raid config should I be doing??

danb35

Hall of Famer
@CWiz There's nothing wrong with using mirrored disks--it just isn't RAID 1 under ZFS. If you only have two disks to use right now, it's the safest option available. If in the future you want to expand your pool capacity, you can buy two more drives (of whatever capacity you want at the time), and add those (mirrored) to your existing pool. Repeat as often as necessary until your case runs out of room or cooling for drives.

With four disks, you have the option of striped mirrors or RAIDZ2. The capacity will be the same. The performance will be a bit better with striped mirrors, but the redundancy will be better with RAIDZ2.

CWiz

Dabbler
On the supermicro website I only see Hynix and Samsung as option for tested ram.
I'm guessing the 1.35v option uses less power??

CWiz

Dabbler
@CWiz There's nothing wrong with using mirrored disks--it just isn't RAID 1 under ZFS. If you only have two disks to use right now, it's the safest option available. If in the future you want to expand your pool capacity, you can buy two more drives (of whatever capacity you want at the time), and add those (mirrored) to your existing pool. Repeat as often as necessary until your case runs out of room or cooling for drives.

With four disks, you have the option of striped mirrors or RAIDZ2. The capacity will be the same. The performance will be a bit better with striped mirrors, but the redundancy will be better with RAIDZ2.

Got it! Thanks
That actually sounds way better than raid1!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
On the supermicro website I only see Hynix and Samsung as option for tested ram.
I'm guessing the 1.35v option uses less power??

Trivially less power, yes.
In the DDR3-1600 1.35V section, under 8GB DIMMs, you'll find Hynix, Samsung (both of these used in Supermicro-branded DIMMs) and Micron (Crucial).

Mr_N

Patron
Kingston ram works fine with my supermicro x10 mobo i'm using the KVR16E11/8 sticks...

having said that given kingston's part swapping ways i probably wont be buying anything from them for a while.

Last edited:

Yatti420

Wizard
Kingston ram works fine with my supermicro x10 mobo i'm using the KVR16E11/8 sticks...

having said that given kingston's part swapping ways i probably wont be buying anything from them for a while.
You must have the memory chips that are compatible wit the x10.. I can't remember which brand chips is compatible.. If you on or are thinking about an x10 I have would avoid Kingston..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Mr_N

Patron
Yeah the hynix chips i believe

Status
Not open for further replies.