XTeve on freenas

damdude

Dabbler
Has anyone tried installing XTeve on freenas ? anyone got it working please share details/steps

Yohund

Cadet
Yea I just installed it on a jail and it has been working without any issues
Hi Jorge, yesterday I bought one IPTV subscription for 2 devices, for me xteve work fine for 1 device with nobuffer selected in settings but only buffer option can get me 2 devices play at same time. Unfortunately vlc and ffmpeg options dont work for me, they are install and vlc modified to work in root but not working. it work at your side?

WhiskyG

Cadet
Yea I just installed it on a jail and it has been working without any issues
Hi jorge12355,

I am having difficulty getting the xTeVe binary working within a jail. Could you give a general overview of how you done this?

I am running the latest stable release of TrueNAS. I have created a blank jail and try to point it to the xTeVe binary but it continually specify that the pathway does not exist? I have been running the Plex within a jail with no issues for a couple of years and I would like to add my IPTV to this as I have a Plex Pass. However, I cannot seem to find an easy guide on how to install xTeVe within a jail.

Your help is appreciated,
WhiskyG

jorge123255

Cadet
Hi Jorge, yesterday I bought one IPTV subscription for 2 devices, for me xteve work fine for 1 device with nobuffer selected in settings but only buffer option can get me 2 devices play at same time. Unfortunately vlc and ffmpeg options dont work for me, they are install and vlc modified to work in root but not working. it work at your side?
one does your provider support more than one connection? Second, when you select the buffer option set it to 0.5 MB also the good thing about buffer is that you can play the same channel on other devices and it counts as one connection for your provider. Now in order to get VLC to work, I installed it pkg vlc install. Then you have to find the path where the vlc application is and insert it in your setting in xteve /usr/local/bin/vlc.
1611153046477.png

I have my xteve running as a user not root, so you have to give that user permissions to that vlc location. I hope this awnsers your questions.

jorge123255

Cadet
Hi jorge12355,

I am having difficulty getting the xTeVe binary working within a jail. Could you give a general overview of how you done this?

I am running the latest stable release of TrueNAS. I have created a blank jail and try to point it to the xTeVe binary but it continually specify that the pathway does not exist? I have been running the Plex within a jail with no issues for a couple of years and I would like to add my IPTV to this as I have a Plex Pass. However, I cannot seem to find an easy guide on how to install xTeVe within a jail.

Your help is appreciated,
WhiskyG

wget https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe-Downloads/blob/master/xteve_freebsd_amd64.zip?raw=true

1611153158637.png

WhiskyG

Cadet
Thanks for pointing me to this, however, I am obviously being stupid here and missing something real easy. I have looked at these steps before. I have a jail up and running, I have the binary downloaded and saved in a main directory on the server. When I use the command "cd /path/to/xteve/folder/" (changing this to the folder where I have saved the binary.). It gives me an error saying "no such file or directory"....

WhiskyG

Cadet
Thanks for pointing me to this, however, I am obviously being stupid here and missing something real easy. I have looked at these steps before. I have a jail up and running, I have the binary downloaded and saved in a main directory on the server. When I use the command "cd /path/to/xteve/folder/" (changing this to the folder where I have saved the binary.). It gives me an error saying "no such file or directory"....
Seem to have got it working. Thanks. Perseverance is key!!!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Yohund

Cadet
one does your provider support more than one connection? Second, when you select the buffer option set it to 0.5 MB also the good thing about buffer is that you can play the same channel on other devices and it counts as one connection for your provider. Now in order to get VLC to work, I installed it pkg vlc install. Then you have to find the path where the vlc application is and insert it in your setting in xteve /usr/local/bin/vlc. View attachment 44443

I have my xteve running as a user not root, so you have to give that user permissions to that vlc location. I hope this awnsers your questions.

Hi,
Thank you so much for your answer, I'm in hard work time during this period sorry for my too late replay.
I'm agree with you when you talk you running as no root user, my logs show problems about root user I used when I begin xteve.

Now I take the time to make it work, and I try to install xteve with no root user, where I have problem when trying to start xteve message say

Code:
root@xteve-server:/etc/rc.d                                                # service xteve start
starting xteve...
root@xteve-server:/etc/rc.d                                                # /home/xteve/xteve: Permission

I thing you had do something at user creation I don't understood right now.
To have better visibility and not long explanation I will recreate new jail and past my raw step-by-step installation of xteve, probably you will see something I don't saw or don't know yet.

Code:
pkg upgrade                                                                         #Upgrade jail
pkg install wget vlc nano                                                      #Install some dependences

adduser -s xteve                                                                  #Add new user

here the resultat user create( be carful here because I fell my problem is somewhere here )

Code:
root@xteve-server:~# adduser -s xteve
Username: xteve
Full name:
Uid (Leave empty for default):
Login group [xteve]:
Login group is xteve. Invite xteve into other groups? []:
Login class [default]:
adduser: INFO: The shell () does not exist or is not executable.
usage: basename string [suffix]
       basename [-a] [-s suffix] string [...]
Shell (sh csh tcsh nologin) []:
Home directory [/home/xteve]:
Home directory permissions (Leave empty for default):
Use password-based authentication? [yes]: no
Lock out the account after creation? [no]:
Username   : xteve
Password   : <disabled>
Full Name  :
Uid        : 1001
Class      :
Groups     : xteve
Home       : /home/xteve
Home Mode  :
Shell      :
Locked     : no
OK? (yes/no): yes
adduser: INFO: Successfully added (xteve) to the user database.
Add another user? (yes/no): no
Goodbye!

Now I enter in xteve user

Code:
root@xteve-server:~ # su xteve                                            #Login in xteve user
$ cd ~                                                                                    #Go to home of xteve user
$ ls -la                                                                                   #Proof of where I'm
total 45
drwxr-xr-x  2 xteve  xteve    10 Jan 28 18:13 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root   wheel     3 Jan 28 18:13 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve  1055 Jan 28 18:13 .cshrc
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve   392 Jan 28 18:13 .login
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve   163 Jan 28 18:13 .login_conf
-rw-------  1 xteve  xteve   379 Jan 28 18:13 .mail_aliases
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve   336 Jan 28 18:13 .mailrc
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve   952 Jan 28 18:13 .profile
-rw-------  1 xteve  xteve   281 Jan 28 18:13 .rhosts
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve   851 Jan 28 18:13 .shrc

Code:
#actually in /home/xteve and login with xteve user, I download last version of xteve from github.
wget https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe/archive/2.1.2.0120.tar.gz

$ ls                                                                                  #proof of downloaded xteve package
2.1.2.0120.tar.gz

tar -xzvf 2.1.2.0120.tar.gz                                               #extract files

$ ls                                                                                  #proof of extracted files
2.1.2.0120.tar.gz   xTeVe-2.1.2.0120

mv -r xTeVe-2.1.2.0120 xteve                                         #change name of extracted folder to more simply name (xteve)
rm 2.1.2.0120.tar.gz                                                        #remove old archive

$ ls -l                                                                               #Proof of renamed folder and permissions
drwxr-xr-x  6 xteve  xteve  12 Feb 15  2020 xteve

$ cd xteve                                                                       #go in folder renamed for extra infos
$ ls -l
total 44
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve  2196 Feb 15  2020 changelog-beta.md
drwxr-xr-x  7 xteve  xteve    12 Feb 15  2020 html
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve  1077 Feb 15  2020 LICENSE
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve    47 Feb 15  2020 README-DEV.md
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve  4380 Feb 15  2020 README.md
drwxr-xr-x  3 xteve  xteve    29 Feb 15  2020 src
drwxr-xr-x  2 xteve  xteve    10 Feb 15  2020 ts
-rw-r--r--  1 xteve  xteve  4735 Feb 15  2020 xteve.go

Code:
chmod +x xteve                                                               #make xteve folder executable

#execute xteve programme login with xteve user, and can see I've permission problem, probably the problem is above it, I think the problem is locale in adduser registration.
./xteve  
su: ./xteve: Permission denied
exit                                                                                  #exit from xteve user
root@xteve-server:~ # nano /etc/rc.d/xteve                   #Now from root user I create startup script

startup script in /etc/rc.d/

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# PROVIDE: xteve
# REQUIRE: DAEMON

. /etc/rc.subr
name=xteve

user="xteve"
path="/home/xteve/xteve"

config_path="/home/${user}"
rcvar=xteve_enable

start_cmd="start_cmd"
stop_cmd="stop_cmd"

start_cmd()
{
  export HOME="${config_path}"

echo "starting $name..."
  su -m "$user" -c "$path" &
}

stop_cmd()
{
  pids=$(pgrep "$name")
  pkill -9 "$name"
  echo "stop $name PID: $pids"
}

xteve_enable=${xteve_enable-"YES"}
pidfile=${xteve_pidfile-"/var/run/${name}.pid"}
run_rc_command "$@"

Code:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/xteve                                             #make startup script executable
nano /etc/rc.conf                                                          #add the lines above
# xTeVe
xteve_enable="YES"

service xteve start                                                        #And to finish the last try to start xteve

root@xteve-server:~ # service xteve start
starting xteve...
root@xteve-server:~ # /home/xteve/xteve: Permission denied.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Sorry to be daft here but for some reason I cannot wget https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe-Downloads/blob/master/xteve_freebsd_amd64.zip?raw=true

I get "no match"....

I've set up a new jail, updated and upgraded pkg, then installed wget but I can't download the binary. Could someone suggest where I'm going wrong here, it's driving me nuts?

Thanks!

It appears that the last bit "?raw=true" is the sticking point, not sure why it is there but it doesn't work with wget as is.
Code:
# wget https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe-Downloads/blob/master/xteve_freebsd_amd64.zip?raw=true
wget: No match.
# wget https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe-Downloads/blob/master/xteve_freebsd_amd64.zip
--2021-04-17 05:54:16--  https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe-Downloads/blob/master/xteve_freebsd_amd64.zip
Resolving github.com (github.com)... 140.82.112.3
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|140.82.112.3|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify github.com's certificate, issued by 'CN=DigiCert High Assurance TLS Hybrid ECC SHA256 2020 CA1,O=DigiCert\\, Inc.,C=US':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
To connect to github.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

Whether to do as suggested and initiate as wget --no-check-certificate is up to you, there might be another way but other times I've done the *potentially* dangerous --no-check-certificate when I've had to grab a tarball, especially when its a bleeding edge version not in FreeBSD ports.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There is a single question mark in your download URL. This leads to the shell, not wget complaining with "no match", because a question mark is a shell wildcard representing a single character.
You should get into the habit of always putting single quotes (') around URLs when downloading on the command line.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
There is a single question mark in your download URL. This leads to the shell, not wget complaining with "no match", because a question mark is a shell wildcard representing a single character.
You should get into the habit of always putting single quotes (') around URLs when downloading on the command line.

So for extra clarification, wget is passing along the message it received from the shell due to that question mark in the url, correct?

I am also very bad at enclosing urls with single quotes, I could probably create an alias for wget which would cure that for me.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you enter any command on the command line, it is read and interpreted by the shell. The shell sees a single question mark, tries to match the entire string to a local file name, doesn't find any, and complains with "no match". Wget isn't even executed.

Second, what's so hard about typing w g e t <space> ' ' <cursor-left> <paste URL in> <enter>?