TrueNAS Scale for Noobs like me

Rudi Pittman

Contributor
Not sure what solution you used but I stayed with the old method suggested for truenas core which was create a media or share user (in my case 1080 is share for user and group), make the media owned by share:share (I also chmod 777'd it recursively) then in all the apps make sure user,group and fsgroup are all 1080. As an alternative on scale they created an "apps" users thats "568" and you could use that as well without creating a new user...all the apps default to using 568 for user/group/fsgroup

NugentS

MVP
@Rudi Pittman
Would you mind elaborating a bit please?

When I installed plex I looked in the jail at the /etc/passwd file and found a plex user as follows:
Code:
plex:*:972:972:Plex Media Server:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

so I (on TrueNS, not in the Jail)
  1. Set up a user called plex with UID: 972, primary group wheel, and a disabled password
  2. In permissions on the dataset containing the media I added the new user plex as a user with full permissions
This was enough to give plex access to the media.

You seem to be suggesting an alternative.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to repeat this for LMS (Logitech Media Server) where the user has an ID of 104:104. So I repeated the above but for a separate slimserv user and can't see the music files (although root can from within the jail)

Last edited:

Rudi Pittman

Contributor
I created a user and group on the nas with id 1080....I made the media and all my apps owned by "1080".....so no conflicts. It's fine for now but what happens if you want another app to access files written by plex? That app may not have a uid 972.

NugentS

MVP
All my media files seem to be owned by an Active Directory user - which makes sense as the Datasets are shared out via SMB and files are generally added/deleted via SMB. For plex I never changed the file ownership - just the two steps in my post above

Rudi Pittman

Contributor
All my media files seem to be owned by an Active Directory user - which makes sense as the Datasets are shared out via SMB and files are generally added/deleted via SMB. For plex I never changed the file ownership - just the two steps in my post above

In the end, as long as it suits your needs then that's all that matters!

NugentS

MVP
But repeating the same process for the LMS jail doesn't work. LMS cannot see the media. Can't even see the mount point in the jail - which has got me scratching my head a bit

shadowempire

Dabbler
any hint how to edit config.php for nextcloud for getting access for untrusted domain?
i dont knw how to find this file...
thx

NugentS

MVP
aha - welcome to a Scale bug
set node IP = your scale IP address

stavros-k

Patron