Xpenology to FreeNAS, existing hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPalm

Cadet
Hello!

This is going to be my first post on the FreeNAS forums. I have experimented with FreeNAS before on a VM but never used it in real life.
Currently I am running Xpenology(DIY Synology) on my part scraped pretty random NAS but I can't really upgrade since the AMD support is lacking and the software is not really working for me anymore.

I am wondering if this hardware would support running FreeNAS. I really don't want to go experimenting with my NAS on live hardware if I am not a good percentage sure it will run stable. Have done that in the past too much.

Hardware:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H
CPU: AMD A4-4000
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury black HX318C10FBK2/8 (8GB)
Memory: Kingston HyperX KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G (8GB)
Storage: 3x Seagate 3TB 7200RPM(Can't find the exact model number atm, are running fine for 3 years now)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
Power: Be Quiet! Pure Power L7 300W

I also have another I believe it is 600GB laptop HDD in there but that is used for little experiments and I am not planning to use that drive as a NAS drive. Maybe for experiments and non-critical data but let's leave that one out of the picture for now.

Main uses:
  • File sync server
  • Backing up a Desktop and Two laptops
  • Syncing to a Cloud Backup solution(Needs to be determined wich one)
  • Stream a few movies(not much)

My questions:
  1. Can I run FreeNAS in a stable config on this hardware?
  2. Do I have enough resources to run a few(not too heavy) Docker containers(mainly webservers, small)
  3. I have a few bucks to make some small! upgrades to the system(if really needed or very well recommended) if needed, what?

Thank you so much for looking into this!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Do I have enough resources to run a few(not too heavy) Docker containers(mainly webservers, small)
I would say no to this because you have an older AMD processor and I don't think it will have enough horsepower to do what you want.
You may yet receive other advice, but my suggestion would be to save up and buy some newer hardware.

IcyPalm

Cadet
I would say no to this because you have an older AMD processor and I don't think it will have enough horsepower to do what you want.
Ok, that is not game breaking for now. Processor is supported by FreeBSD?

You may yet receive other advice, but my suggestion would be to save up and buy some newer hardware.
Planning on doing that next year, first need to move and upgrade the house :)

m0nkey_

MVP
Can I run FreeNAS in a stable config on this hardware?
Yes.
Do I have enough resources to run a few(not too heavy) Docker containers(mainly webservers, small)
Depends. Some AMD processors do not include all the required features in order to support Bhyve VMs, and therefore Docker. Your mileage may vary.
I have a few bucks to make some small! upgrades to the system(if really needed or very well recommended) if needed, what?
I suggest looking at the hardware recommendations guide for a better idea of what to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.