Will AMD Epyc 7351P & Supermicro H11SSL-i do FreeNAS 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paolo Randi

Dabbler
Sorry for misunderstanding, never upset with anybody. I will close any further communication cause you are right not friend of anyone. We will keep our success or failure as a private fact. Sorry Chris i mislead the Atom stuff, my interpretation is due to my poor English. I misinterpreted "Your money would be better spend buying Intel components that are a couple generations old" again my English is not perfect.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry for misunderstanding, never upset with anybody. I will close any further communication cause you are right not friend of anyone.
You don't need to stop contributing to the forum, but you could refrain from criticizing the other people who are only here to try and help others.

gpsguy

Please feel free to continue your participation in the forums!

I gave you a "thanks" for a post you made on Saturday. AMD doesn't get much respect on the forums, so reading a post regarding real world experiences on a new AMD system is refreshing.

I will close any further communication cause you are right not friend of anyone.

I've been familiar with the "Eating your own dog food" phrase for 30 years or so. Often, I'm surprised to see non-American's or users for whom English is not their native tongue, use the same lingo that I might use.

southwow

Contributor
I have never suggested use of an Atom processor for anything. You are confusing me with someone else. Stop talking to me like an ass.Also, you are not a friend to anyone using words like that.

Hey Chris, I think he's using Google Translate or some other. Atom was probably intended as Intel. I've spent a lot of time communicating with others overseas and translators always make you look like an a-hole (bidirectionally like a parallel port, lol)

Paolo Randi

Dabbler
Hi everybody, nas has been upgraded to the 11.2 final release. no issues very stable RC1 RC2 and final. promoted to production. Performance are amazing and also power consumpion. Thats it. Bye.

Stubb

Dabbler
Hi everybody, nas has been upgraded to the 11.2 final release. no issues very stable RC1 RC2 and final. promoted to production. Performance are amazing and also power consumpion. Thats it. Bye.

Thanks for the commentary on this build—I'm also mulling an EPYC system.

Any particular reasons that you picked the H11SSL-I over a more featured version like the H11SSL-NC? Seems like the M.2 slot would be handy for a boot/VM drive.

Paolo Randi

Dabbler
Hi, we build a pure nas, no VM nothing else than pure performance delivery in serving data. That is why we used -I. We are interested in driving 10Gb NIC finally at the full power something that we never ever obtained with xeon procs. 10 Gb NIC are really strange beasts. They run hot on our xeon systems and run cool on Epyc. They perform 9 Gb/s on epyc and 3-4Gb/s on xeon (having two HBA). This is a mistery so far. It seems to me and my engineers that on xeon there is some bottleneck or contention on pci putting in poll mode the card.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi, we build a pure nas, no VM nothing else than pure performance delivery in serving data. That is why we used -I. We are interested in driving 10Gb NIC finally at the full power something that we never ever obtained with xeon procs. 10 Gb NIC are really strange beasts. They run hot on our xeon systems and run cool on Epyc. They perform 9 Gb/s on epyc and 3-4Gb/s on xeon (having two HBA). This is a mistery so far. It seems to me and my engineers that on xeon there is some bottleneck or contention on pci putting in poll mode the card.
Are the Xeon systems single socket or dual socket system board? I have seen some slowness on dual socket boards that I think is connected to memory management between the processors.
I think it is related to this:
https://superuser.com/questions/916516/is-the-amount-of-numa-nodes-always-equal-to-sockets

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry for misunderstanding, never upset with anybody.
I apologize for the earlier misunderstanding and I hope that you will continue to contribute to the forum for the benefit of everyone.

Paolo Randi

Dabbler
Dual socket for freenas is a failure for our experience. I say our experience. The system was not stable. What we discovered so far is that performance depends on PCI badwith (we have 10 Gbit NICS). The processor, unless you use virtualization, should be single in our experience, with supermicro motherboards (mandatory sorry) . So summarizing, we are not sure about dual socket we dismissed it on freenas. we have two nas with xeon procs, we are dismissing them on EPYC AMD processors that in our experience so far (Our experience) are killers. Regards. Remember we dont use freenas for virtualization.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.