Xeon E5 26xx/16xx v4 with DDR4 ECC UDIMM sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

idimitro

Cadet
Hi, my current setup is using X11SAT-O (1151 Skylake) board with 48GB (2x8 + 2x16) DDR4 ECC UDIMM memory. I realized that my current platform is limiting me and I would like to move to E5 Xeons but unfortunately can't afford to swap the RAM as well.
The E5 Xeons officially support RDIMM only, but I have seen a few places where they have run them with regular UDIMMs. Also the ASrock x99 motherboards claim to support ECC UDIMMs with Xeon CPUs.

My question is if anybody has run / is running X99 or C612 MB with E5 Xeon and ECC UDIMM memory?
Thanks.

indy

Patron
The E5 Xeons officially support RDIMM only
Could you provide your source for that statement?
I am planning to buy an E5 system and never stumbled upon that info.

idimitro

Cadet
Could you provide your source for that statement?
I am planning to buy an E5 system and never stumbled upon that info.

A few things led me to this conclusion: Intel platform verification results http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/platform-memory/platform-memory.html
All Supermicro C612 motherboards officially support only DDR4 RDIMM memory. From the other manufactures only Asrock claims support for ECC UDIMM
I talked with local Supermicro rep and he said that the Xeons actually support ECC UDIMMs but Supermicro doesn't make statements as they don't work with the cheaper no-name memory.

So basically It seems the processors will work, but pretty much nobody gives guaranties of the supported brand and size of the memory the CPU will work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.