X9SRW-F fan recommendation

melloa

Wizard
Planning to put this server in production, but that MoBo doesn't have a fan setting that would allow for optimal fan speed, to reduce noise.

Code:
Current FAN Mode is Standard.
Set Fan to Standard Speed
Set Fan to Full Speed
Set Fan to Heavy I/O

Any recommendation for non-supermicro fans that can be used to replace the stock ones?

By the way, the system is installed on a CSE-825 case with three 80mm fans.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

melloa

Wizard
What chassis are you using?

Sorry, I noticed I've missed some info and edited the post later: CSE-825.

I was able to slow my fans down and keep the original fans by using these inline between the system board and the fan:

And no temps issues and/or alarms from the motherboard?

By the way ... 10G doing fine ;)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
By the way, the system is installed on a CSE-825 case with three 80mm fans.
I actually have a chassis like that, and a couple of other Supermicro chassis, and I found that the fans run quite fast by default, but they were 4-pin PWM fans. I installed the resisters I linked to between the fan-wall fans and where they connect. On my system, the fan-wall fans connect to the backplane that the drives plug into,, not the system board, and that causes them to run full blast all the time with no potential for control. I added the resistors, which slow the fans to about half speed, and made the system quiet enough for me to be happy with the sound level.
And no temps issues and/or alarms from the motherboard?
The follow-on problem I had was that my system originally came with a passive heatsync on the processor but it was not getting enough airflow any more because of the reduced fan speed. I replaced the passive yeatsync with an active heatsync (with a fan) and that was solved. It has been working well for a several years now. I removed the rear fans and just let the fan-wall fans push the air through the system, but if you keep them, you may need to use resistors on them also, but they plug to the system board, so you might need to adjust the minimum threshold speed for the fans so the system doesn't think they have stalled.

melloa

Wizard
On my system, the fan-wall fans connect to the backplane that the drives plug into

I see ... in my case they are connected to the motherboard.

I added the resistors, which slow the fans to about half speed, and made the system quiet enough for me to be happy with the sound level.

I've ordered. If I wasn't lazy, I could calculate the circuit and get a resistor inserted, but your solution is better as I don't need to cut any wires on my server ... I can wait two/three weeks for them ;)

I might upgrade that motherboard with a X9DRi-LN4F+ in the future. I have two servers with that MoBo and the optimum fan setting is quite enough for me.

I replaced the passive yeatsync with an active heatsync (with a fan)

I did install a fan on my passive heatsync as I was running that server before with some nuctua fans for testing and the CPU was getting a little toasty... a lot hot to be honest as I could fell the heat on the chassis cover. With the memory upgrade I've done to the server, those fans were not enough to keep the memory cool ... I was getting to 50C, so got the original fans back. I can close the server closet door and won't hear anything, but I'm afraid when summer comes, the room temp will not be as cool as now - keep the office around 68F and the closet has a exhaust fan with a thermostat set for 75F.

I removed the rear fans

Don't have one ... was thinking about installing one myself. Will research what goes in there @ SM.

you might need to adjust the minimum threshold speed for the fans so the system doesn't think they have stalled

Will play with the setting when they arrive.

Thanks for all your help!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer