X11SSM-F New BIOS Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I just checked the Supermicro site and found a new BIOS firmware file called X11SSMF7_309. There was no IPMI update file.

Supermicro does not tell you what changed in the BIOS, very sad. I really want to update but my system is running perfectly fine right now, but still I'm being pulled towards the dark side. So if anyone has additional data on this update, I'd like to hear about it.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have this board too. I just placed a request with the tech support folks
to email me a change description on the 2.0a bios update, I'll share
their reply when I hear back.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm still running the BIOS that shipped with my X10SL7-F (2.0) IIRC. If it aint broke don't fix it.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I really want to update but my system is running perfectly fine right now, but still I'm being pulled towards the dark side.
STEP AWAY FROM THAT ZIP FILE! lol

But seriously why can't they just list the changes in the readme file, it would take what, about ten min. :rolleyes:

joeschmuck

Old Man
My board is running BIOS version 1.0b.
If it aint broke don't fix it.
Yea, that is too simple of a rule to follow.
STEP AWAY FROM THAT ZIP FILE! lol

But seriously why can't they just list the changes in the readme file, it would take what, about ten min. :rolleyes:
Agreed, they should be able to state what the changes addressed. It seems like every other motherboard I've updated states what it affected. It could be something as simple as supporting a newer CPU or making the system more stable.

But I'll try to hold off updating it. If I get too bored then all bets are off.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ugh, don't remind me of BIOSes... I just wasted another two hours trying to get ASRock's X99 WS 3.3 BIOS to work. Both Windows and Ubuntu crash or hang at boot, no matter what I try.

That said, it's probably going to be a minor fix, since they recently released vanilla 2.0.

droeders

Contributor
I have a Linux server based on the X11SSM-F, which had been running the v2.0 BIOS.

I updated it this weekend to v2.0a and haven't noticed any issues with it yet. YMMV

joeschmuck

Old Man
I read the description of the Rev 2.0 BIOS and it seems to fix a few issues, even though I'm not experiencing any of them right now. I suspect that 2.0a was a bug fix but I'll wait for the changelog.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@joeschmuck
As promised here is Supermicro's response regarding the change log.

FYI:

Product Name: X11SSM-F

Revision: 2.0a Previous Revision: 2.0

Release Date: 3/09/2017

Dependencies:

None

Important Notes:

None

Enhancements:

1. Changed BIOS revision to 2.0a.

2. Intel RC/SI updated to 4.1.0.2.

3. Updated SPS to 4.1.3.22 PV release.

4. Added "Kaby Lake" to "System Agent Bridge Name".

5. Updated DT_P_119 for Skylake R0 stepping microcode M36506E3_000000B2.

6. Updated RSTe PreOS 4.6.0.1018.

New Features:

1. "PCI AER Support" setup item now displayed to OOB by enabling "CBURN AERON".

2. Added AMI EarlyConsoleOut_02 module and SmcEarlyConsoleStatus from SVN#2572.

Fixes:

1. Fixed system hanging at 0x35 with Skylake CPU when JBR1 enabled after a flash failed.

2. Fixed system hanging when installing an add-on card that contains non SMC format VPD data.

3. Fixed operation of COM1 console redirection default setting (disabled) in MFG mode.

4. Fixed Greenlow CPUs not working at minimum CPU frequency (800 MHz) with a non-ACPI aware OS (e.g., DOS and EFI Shell) when setting "Boot Performance Mode" to "Power Saving" in the BIOS setup menu. (PB #73801).

5. Fixed Multi event time count not following the specifications.

6. Fixed issue of power button not being reported in the ACPI table when set to "4 Seconds Override" in BIOS.

7. Fixed SMBIOS Type 17 Manufacturer being incorrect when installing memory that has an unknown manufacturer to display as “Undefined”.

Regards,

TerranceX.

Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2017 6:33 AM

To: BigDaveEMAILADDRESSatSOMEWHERE.com

Subject: Supermicro Case#SM1704084033:X11SSM-F

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well it looks like it's time to perform some surgery on my BIOS and give it a new heart. I may wait until tomorrow, didn't sleep well last night (really beat) and I'd hate to make a stupid mistake.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I feel your pain. ASRock support talked me into trying a fresh install of Windows on my workstation. I really hope it fails to even boot the installer with the latest BIOS, because that would minimize the waste of time.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Upgraded today and it almost went without a hitch. You know, I remember when a BIOS update was just a single BIOS area. Heck, I use to customize my own BIOS for my motherboards back in the day.

So the only hickup I had was when the update was finished and it tells you that you must power off. Well it should say that you must remove power to the motherboard/computer. I turned it off and then powered it back on and it would be stuck in a loop where it would start loading up the BIOS but then cycle power. After 3 times I turned off the power supply switch. Once I powered it back on the system came up like a champ.

Can't say I noticed any changes that I care about. Hopefully it's stable and another BIOS update isn't in the works due to a bug.

B166ER

Explorer
The X11SSM-F is easily the worst board i've ever owned. It gave me so much trouble and still does. How do you guys even update the bios, if USB isn't even working AT ALL?? I am stuck here with PEI-CPU Initialization Code 35 and i can't even enter the bios. I have to take the server from the rack, erase the bios with a f***ing screwdriver(!), place it back in the rack, get into the bios and then what? How the hell do i update the bios? Sorry, but this is unacceptable, there isn't even a changelog for the new 2.0b bios and that stupid Readme is a f***g joke. That was my last Supermicro board, to hell with that company.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The X11SSM-F is easily the worst board i've ever owned. It gave me so much trouble and still does. How do you guys even update the bios, if USB isn't even working AT ALL?? I am stuck here with PEI-CPU Initialization Code 35 and i can't even enter the bios. I have to take the server from the rack, erase the bios with a f***ing screwdriver(!), place it back in the rack, get into the bios and then what? How the hell do i update the bios? Sorry, but this is unacceptable, there isn't even a changelog for the new 2.0b bios and that stupid Readme is a f***g joke. That was my last Supermicro board, to hell with that company.
While I feel your pain I would like to help if possible.

The failure code is indicating a RAM failure. Exactly what RAM do you have installed in this board?

Also, if the USB is not working then you have issues more than the BIOS.

How long have you had this motherboard and has it been working fine since you got it? Did you run MemTest86 on it for several days without any failure? If the system had been running properly do you know what caused the system to fail?

EDIT: Also, were you reading the Supermicro User Manual that came with your motherboard on how to flash the BIOS? There are also BIOS recovery options however I would hold off on that until you know for sure you do not have a bad RAM issue.

Last edited:

B166ER

Explorer
Thx for your feedback! Actually it worked fine until i changed the boot option to boot from usb key. This board has serious problems and i am not the only one complaining. The memory is one single 16GB Samsung ECC module that is on the supported list. But sometimes if i change something in the bios, Code 35 appears. Now i enabled IPMI to try the bios update feature over IPMI. But of course, you need to have a f***ing license for that to work. Next step would be to try it over virtual media. But i'm seriously considering to throw that board away, it's complete junk and aggravates me to hell! Really not good for my blood pressure...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The BIOS is indeed buggy, but I had little trouble booting a DOS environment from USB to flash the system firmware.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The user manual has a BIOS recovery section and the last section talks about the dual BIOS chip and moving a jumper around to recover the BIOS.

Based on the failure code I would check out the RAM speed in the BIOS and ensure it is running at one speed slower than what the RAM is rated for, if that is possible. Think as if you do have a RAM failure and it just can't run at full speed. Maybe you could underclock your system until you can get the new BIOS flashed.

I would also open a ticket with Supermicro about the issue. Tech support has been very responsive with that company.

The BIOS is indeed buggy, but I had little trouble booting a DOS environment from USB to flash the system firmware.
I had no idea. I had the one issue updating my BIOS but it didn't appear to be a USB issue. Well I will wait a few days to update my BIOS until we know what BIOS version 2.0b contains.

Also, not sure if anyone recalls but when I got my motherbaord, there was a lot of excess residue on the backside of the motherboard from the manufacturing process that was not cleaned off. I cleaned it off myself becasue I'm certain that it would collect dust. Dust can short out electronics. This may or maynot be part of the problem but I thought I should mention it.

B166ER

Explorer
Thx Eric and Joe. UnfortunateIy, i can't access the bios at all. I did the screwdriver reset but still nothing. IPMI works but is of no use for me right now. It's horrible, this is an important machine. No clue what to do now. Have to find the bill or i am screwed.

B166ER

Explorer
Tried Bios Recovery with the jumper, no effect. Still same error. I guess that thing is dead and it didn't even last a year. Maybe Tyan is a better choice. They weren't that bad back in the days...

joeschmuck

Old Man
I did the screwdriver reset but still nothing.
You mean the Clear CMOS? This does not clear the BIOS, it will clear specific NVM settings. If this allows the system to boot then again, maybe you have a RAM issue and it does not want to run at full speed.

Have you referred to the User Guide, specifically Appendix E and Appendix D? I'd say this would be the last ditch effort so if you are sure you are there the try it but first I'd try to slow down my system timings if clearing the CMOS seems to fix something.

And again, get in touch with Supermicro, heck they might even just toss you a replacement motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom