Flashing the Bios X11SSM-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMD

Cadet
I am coming out of the windows world and running my first FreeNAS server. I have a Supermicro X11SSM-F motherboard running a Xeon processor. The FreeNAS software is relatively easy to learn and the software is running great.

My problem- I want to update the bios and install the supermicro utility drivers. I am completely lost.

I am using the IPMI to update the Bios. I downloaded the winzip file from the Supermicro web site and I have the following choices of files to flash the bios. Which file do I select?

upload_2017-10-7_7-59-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-7_7-56-49.png
    upload_2017-10-7_7-56-49.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 359

danb35

Hall of Famer
install the supermicro utility drivers.
Don't. They aren't needed, and won't work under FreeBSD anyway.
I am using the IPMI to update the Bios.
Last I knew, you needed a separate license key to be able to update the BIOS through IPMI (which is BS, but it seems to be how SuperMicro rolls). Otherwise, you'll need to make a bootable USB or ISO containing the appropriate files, boot that, and update the BIOS the old-fashioned way.

Reactions: GMD

GMD

Cadet
The other method you mentioned would bring up a whole new group of questions for me.

I obtained the license key and was hoping to find out which file should be selected to flash the bios with IPMI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I obtained the license key and was hoping to find out which file should be selected to flash the bios with IPMI.
Ah. In that case, I'm not sure, but I'd expect it'd be the biggest one--X11SSMF7.728.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The BIOS file is the one with the motherboard model in the file name. X11SSMF7.728

Inxsible

Guru
I hate paying a fee on top of my board price just to update the BIOS. I just use FreeDOS Live USB to update my Supermicro boards. Very easy.

GMD

Cadet
I hate paying a fee on top of my board price just to update the BIOS. I just use FreeDOS Live USB to update my Supermicro boards. Very easy.

Understood, but they gave me the activation key for free. I emailed the request, they asked me for information on the MoBo and IPMI MAC addresses. Then they sent the key. The term they used was an "evaluation key." No credit card numbers were requested. I used my work email and website address for the request. The on-line request form would not accept my gmail account.

Inxsible

Guru
Understood, but they gave me the activation key for free.
I like free :D
If it's free, IPMI is the best way to update the BIOS, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.