Wordpress on FreeNAS 9.2.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

4michaej

Cadet
Hi all

I'm new to FreeNAS and I've only ever known windows. I previously used a QNAP NAS which had a webserver and supported wordpress.

I was hoping FreeNAS would also be able to act as a WebServer with Wordpress, but I haven't been able to figure out how to install this.

If anyone has successfully done this, or could help, please get let me know.

Kind regards

John

Yatti420

Wizard
This shoud be possible within a jail.. I see a port for wordpress.. https://www.freshports.org/www/wordpress/ .. I see php/mysql comes with it.. you would still need a webserver on top to serve the wordpress..

4michaej

Cadet
Thank you for your reply. I've tried to run those commands and I get the following error. Any ideas?

[root@freenas ~]# cd /usr/ports/www/wordpress/ && make install clean
bash: cd: /usr/ports/www/wordpress/: No such file or directory
[root@freenas ~]# pkg install www/wordpress
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg please wait
_http._tcp.pkg.FreeBSD.org
pkg: fail to extract pkg-static
[root@freenas ~]#

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
OK. What kind of jail have you created? You need a portjail (when you create it, turn off VIMAGE, and turn off "Vanilla"), once you have a portjail do this:
Code:
portsnap fetch
portsnap extract

Then try to repeat your commands.

4michaej

Cadet
I haven't created a jail, which is maybe where I was going wrong. I'm assuming I need to create a portjailx64 jail from the drop down menu?

4michaej

Cadet
Ok I've created a portjailx64 jail and I've run the commands and it seems to be working. It seems to be downloading an endless amount of different programs and it is taking forever. No idea what I will need to do if these downloads ever finish?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Right.

Just for your knowledge, and anyone else looking at this that might be wondering the same thing, here is why you needed a jail:

FreeNAS is an APPLIANCE, meaning, that even though FreeBSD is the underlying operating system, it is cut to the bone, with (more or less---this is sort of a lie) only those services necessary to run a FreeNAS server appliance. Anything that would take up space, or slow down the system, and does not have anything to do with FreeNAS, is gone. In short, as is, FreeNAS cannot be used as FreeBSD. You can't even get "man" pages (these are the help files for Unix/Linux commands). And even if you could, any CHANGES you'd make, any SOFTWARE you'd install, would be gone (more or less--again, a possible lie with a workaround) on the next reboot.

A jail, on the other hand, is a full install of FreeBSD, and it exists in your jail root, which is presumably in your permanent storage, not in the appliance operating system storage (i.e., not the USB stick). If you choose a "portjail", you get something called the "ports package", which was more or less invented years ago by our very own jkh, which is a collection of instructions on how to install a few thousand pieces of software. You can "make" any of those software packages by issuing the "make install" stuff. BSD will then fetch your software code, "compile" it, and all that shit.

Now, once it's installed, you'll need to start the service, you'll probably need to make a change to the sysrc to make it start automatically etc. You'll need a web server, which also exists in ports, etc. These are not FreeBSD/FreeNAS problems, so we're not going to help you with those, but there will be plenty of tutorials on that with the Wordpress people. Suggest you Google search for "FreeBSD install wordpress", and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Yatti420

Wizard

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
why can't you use packages? ports are only needed when you have to compile programs with special options. I run several WordPress installs on freebsd (nginx / php-fpm / mariadb stack) and it's just like running any other php program.

Status
Not open for further replies.