How do you go about setting up a cron job in a FreeNAS jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

felthamn

Dabbler
Good morning folks,

I'm hoping someone may be able to assist me with what to most of you may be a relatively simple task. I'm only just getting into the more technical aspect of freenas so please be patient. Anyways I'm rambling....

I have just setup a jail to run a Wordpress on and even managed to get Certbot installed and the letsecnrypt certs installed, configured and running after about two night's work and several tutorials. Quite proud of myself on that as I didn't ask for any help :)

What I am struggling with is in two parts:

Is there a way that I can change the default editor from vim to nano (which is my preferred editor)?

I would like to setup a cron job so that certbot will renew at a preset time. I was planning on using 30 02 * * * certbot renew (from a techmint tutorial on setting up lets encrypt on freebsd). However I'm not sure where to start with this. My gut says create the cron from within your wordpess jail but to be honest I'm not really sure how to go about this. Any advice on best practice for achieving this would be gratefully received.

Thank you for reading this, you patience and help

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Quite proud of myself on that as I didn't ask for any help :)
Self sufficiency is a great feeling isn't it.
Is there a way that I can change the default editor from vim to nano
From inside the jail setenv editor nano. You will of course have to install nano first for this to work. pkg install nano
I would like to setup a cron job so that certbot will renew at a preset time.
This is how I do it but there are other ways as well.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cron-job-for-certbot-in-a-jail.46534/#post-417894

Another option is listed in this tutorial.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...proxy-your-jails-w-certbot.49876/#post-343392

felthamn

Dabbler
Thanks for the links will have a read and give it a try. Will let you know how I get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.