Windows VM for system reimage on other computers on trueNAS ?

jpatel1993

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am new to trueNAS community. I had decent experience with Unix operating system, I am currently using my own windows image(using usb stick that has custom.svm) to re-image the same kind of hardware and it works well. But we are looking for another option where we can do the same more efficiently.

I take a look at the different options and came to know about TrueNAS. My question is can we install this custom.svm or iso to TrueNAS VM and point our laptop to that image so it can pull our image from there and install windows from it ? I am not sure this is doable with TrueNAS or not ? Could someone please point me in right direction ?

Thanks.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If I understand your scenario rightly, you want to make the contents of your USB custom.svm available for reimaging PCs over the network? It all depends on when and how your Windows endpoints would access this image.
  • If you're trying to do this via PXE netboot, it depends on what protocols the PXE BIOS supports. Many support TFTP, and TrueNAS can serve files via TFTP.
  • TrueNAS also supports plain FTP, which some other PXE BIOSs support.
  • If you're mounting an ISO after boot via SMB, TrueNAS also supports SMB sharing.